3.2 Lock and Key

Posted: September 4, 2020 | Edited June 20, 2022

3.2 Lock and Key

2 Lock and Key

Roshan

[Year 1 - October]

          I halt from punching the sandbag at a gym near my house where I train on hearing a familiar voice. "Hi friend".

A voice that didn't belong at this gym because we didn't see each other outside of school. Even at school, despite being in the same class, it's rare for us to interact. "I didn't realize we were friends."

Arshiya smiles back wearing skintight dark jeans and a top that wasn't gym appropriate at all. It's obvious she isn't here to work out, but then what is she doing here? "Tonight I am."

"What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to rescue you from your boring evening."

Did she... track me down here? How?

"It's not boring."

"Liar." She walks around the sandbag, running a finger down the center, "It's Friday evening and what teenager spends it by their lonesome instead of hanging out with friends and being up to no good?"

She takes a stance, balancing her weight between her feet even as I question, "You feel the need to bring your bodyguard and yet you call us friends?" When she lifts one leg and I figure out she is going to kick the bag, I say, "Stop," and move to stand behind her. "Don't hurt me," I warn and don't give her a second to react as I align her hips correctly.

After I give her a nod, she lifts her leg again to kick the bag and it moves the slightest - which is impressive still because I didn't expect her to have the strength to move it at all. It's astonishing for her jeans stay intact and don't cause her a wardrobe malfunction. The fabric must be durable.

Or maybe she's done this before and held the incorrect pose to see what I'd do? Nah, I'm overthinking such a small thing.

She smiles to herself before flickering her gaze at me and resuming our earlier conversation. "Have you forgotten I don't need Mohit to get you on your knees?"

I don't argue the semantics that while she twisted up my arm, she never got me on my knees because that might just give her the room to go ahead and do just that so I can't claim otherwise. "How could I? You'd never let me live it down."

"Of course not. That's the best part about us. Now, banter aside, he's always around."

I don't see him on school grounds, but I imagine outside of that, she might be speaking the truth. "Why do you need a bodyguard?"

"Your family is not the only one that's kinda important around here. Now, let's go. All this chit-chat is cutting back on my fun time."

"Where are you dragging me to now?" I start unwrapping my boxing gloves.