3.1 Angel and Devil

Posted: August 17, 2020 | Edited: June 14, 2022

3.1 Angel and Devil

1 Angel and Devil

Roshan

[Year 1 - April]

I humiliated her.

Or, so I thought.

Playing a game of truth and dare, I dared Ishaan to kiss her. As I had anticipated, he refused to. He was too righteous even at 16. I used that opportunity to taunt her over why anyone would want to kiss a girl who had cancer.

She stood there in front of me. Numb. Even as Ishaan tugs at her hand, asking her to look at him instead. He sees something breaking in her silence that pushes him to kiss her even though just seconds ago he had said he'd rather lose the game. It must be just to shut me up. When she realizes he had kissed her, her hand comes to his chest, pushing him back a step.

He looks me straight in the eye, "You got your stupid dare. Happy now?"

It' not him I am looking at though. My eyes are fixated on Arshiya. As if sensing that, she too locks her eyes with mines fearlessly. Unashamed. I return a smug look, foolishly thinking I'd won this round the way she had won the last two. How wrong am I? Because the words that came out of her mouth make me feel small. Make me realize just how empty and rotten I have become on the inside. "It takes heart to be with someone who is terminally sick. Ishaan has that. Question is, do you? If you ask me, I can't imagine anyone wanting to be with you - healthy as you are." She then smiles, "Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome. I think I'll remember this night always."

Turning her back to me, she starts to make her exit - only pausing briefly next to Ishaan to say, "We're done."

For passing seconds, the only sound reverberating around us are the clicks of her heels as she walks out the front door. Perhaps taking those seconds to recoil from her words she spoke to him, Ishaan runs off after her.

I set out to get my revenge on her, only to feel humiliated myself. And for what? Because Nisaar egged me on? How could I have fallen for his trick? I generally steered clear of him. I knew better. But a couple days ago, he stopped me on my way to my room to taunt.

"Heard you let some chick beat you up."

I hadn't bothered correcting him that it was just a twist of arm. Being a state level boxing champion, I could have easily maneuvered out of it. Only reason I didn't was because I would never raise my hand against a female. Not that I could expect him to get that.

He had harped on, "What will Pratap uncle say when he hears of it?"

I remember clenching my jaw. That was the last thing I needed. My father thinking I embarrassed him and his precious, fragile reputation as the state's Chief Minister. "You think I'm gonna let it go?"