3.6 Thing Called Time

Posted: February 19, 2021 | Edited: July 08, 2022

3.6 Thing Called Time

6 Thing Called Time

Roshan

          Unreal expectations are something I do not generally hold on to. But as my head snaps sideways at Arshiya's questions, I wish she didn't look like she wouldn't know what to do with herself if I answered with a yes. She didn't look this out of sorts when speaking to Tanuj and that asshole tried to manhandle her. Right now, she looks as if I have robbed her of her breath by just saying I wanted to punch the said asshole and that it had nothing to do with the fact that she could handle herself.

She holds such emotional control over herself that it's unreal. I used to think I was a master at control.
No. I was wrong.

As if unable to bear the silence, even though it has only been five beats since she asked the question, she jumps into a ramble, "Actually, don't answer that. It was a stupid question and I feel silly for even asking."

"We made a pact that we wouldn't say it."

She's doing it again. Not giving me a chance to answer so she wouldn't have to hear what she believes she isn't ready for. But, I don't play along. I don't make a habit of doing things just to please others.

"No takebacks."

"Roshan-"

I give her the honest answer. Her breath hitches in anticipation. "I don't like you."

She exhales and her shoulder droop in relief. "Good. I'd have hated to lose you as a friend. Plenty things I have yet to teach you."

I dismiss her later tease. "Are you saying if I had said yes, you'd cut me out of your life?"

"Maybe a month or two ago, I'd have said yes. Now... probably not. Until someone I really look up to said this, I hadn't realized how much Kevin's death affected me that I'd started to unintentionally keep people at an arm's length. See, before, I didn't have to think of that because I rarely met anyone I didn't already know growing up."

If I can't relate to that, who would? I haven't let anyone get too close ever. Not one person knows all of my secrets. Not even Amaya. She knows a whole bunch, but there are still things she doesn't know of. And maybe I'd tell her about them some day. But I haven't yet.

"Why did you think I liked you?"

"Because you said..."

"I said that because I don't appreciate anyone manhandling others – no matter the relationship between them. And when I saw you walking out looking like a ghost, shaking...." I blink up to catch her brown eyes, "I'd have wanted to do that for anyone, not just you."

"I'm no one special then." Her tone is unreadable and for a second, I wonder if I did offend her even though seconds ago she'd said she wasn't. Then, she rests her back against the bedframe and chuckles. "Do you know, I only ever get that feeling when I am traveling to other countries where people are less likely to know me. Here, I've never felt that way before and I've always wanted that – even if just once."