3.4 Unfinished

Posted: February 10, 2021 | Edited: June 21, 2022

3.4 Unfinished

4 Unfinished

Arshiya

[Year 1 - November]

          Mohit lectures as he unloads my suitcase from the trunk after we reach the train station. "You'll stay with the group and bite back your impulse of having grand adventures, got it? Stick to the schedules the teachers have and..."

I push away from leaning against the car and put my hands on his shoulders, "Mohit, I already got a whole list of do's and don'ts from mom and dad. I really don't need one from you as well."

It was the annual fieldtrip. This year, school had decided to take us to the North where the plan was to be one with the nature. Camping. Skiing. Rafting. The likes.

It is understandable for Mohit to be on edge along with my parents because for the longest 4 or 5 years now, he's accompanied me everywhere. If chaperones were allowed on the trip, he'd be the first name on the list. He is really uncomfortable with letting me go by myself - even though I have pointed out that I wouldn't be alone. Ishaan is going as well and so were my cousins - though their class was going to a different village.

With an adorable frown on his face, he closes the trunk and we walk towards the train. He loads my suitcase along with others' and then turns to me. "Just... you'll be careful?"

"Yes, dad," I lightly mock reaching up on my toes to hug him. "I'll stay away from trouble. Promise."

He scoffs as we part, "Now isn't that a lie."

Giving him my infamous mischievous grin, I find an empty seat so I can sit by the window. He gets down from the train and waits by the station platform. He won't leave until the train does.

. . . ∞ . ∞ . ∞ . ∞. . .

          At the familiar mocking tone, I look past my book to Roshan. "And she reads too." He stands leaning against where Ishaan is sleeping on the top bunk. After a few minutes, I had moved to the top bunk across from him to lie on my stomach and read.

"Shh," I scold him for he is speaking right next to Ishaan's ear and he didn't need to wake him up - even if it has been two hours since.

Roshan moves to stand in front of my bunk, placing his crossed arms on the ladder step. He whispers, "Better?"

"What do you want?"

"I thought you were only staying till his parents' wedding, but here you still are."

Squinting, I question, "How do you know about that?"

He shrugs his shoulder, "Heard it somewhere."

I don't bother asking where he heard it. That's predictable. "Despite what you heard, I don't leave things unfinished."