3.7 Three of a Kind

Posted: February 22, 2021 | Edited: July 09, 2022

3.7 Three of a Kind

7 Three of a Kind

Roshan

[Year 2 - January]

          "This is a sorry ass way to celebrate your birthday." Dhruvi comments shortly after arriving to the party and wishing me.

I shrug it off, "Nothing new. It sucks for you that this is how you have to spend your Saturday."

"Hey, as long as there's cake, you won't hear me complaining."

I raise a teasing brow, "Weren't you fussing about weight and dieting last time?"

She slouches in her hair, quickly looking around to make sure no one was paying attention on us or would scold her for not being on her best behavior. "Smh, you can blame Aru for snapping at me about that. Now she's got me meeting some nutritionist who's instead writing me a healthy and balanced diet." When the corner of my lip twitches in amusement – for that sounds like something Arshiya would do – she points her index finger at me. "Don't you dare laugh at my state, Singhania, or I'll turn her lose on you next."

I shrug again, giving her the bring it on vibe for I have in good confidence that she'll be avoiding me for the foreseeable future, unless something changes. Especially if Ishaan has informed her that he's told me about the letter. As is, she has ignored my three messages I've left her since yesterday afternoon.

Dhruvi sits up, catching the unsaid thoughts. I shouldn't underestimate her. She knows to pick up on cues. "Why don't you care? What happened at New Years Eve?"

"She asked me if I liked her."

At first, her eyes widen at learning Arshiya asked me that point blank. No one is quite that direct with me. Then, her eyes turn into a smile of pride as if knowing our common friend is quite capable of asking the question and taking the lead. "And did you tell her?"

I smile recalling her ramble just seconds after. "She'd have freaked."

When I blink back at Dhruvi, I catch the smile widen on his lips. My forehead creases, confused, until I let it sink in and the creases fade. But, true to her self, she doesn't comment over it. She lets it be. Instead, she asks, "Did she wish you?"

I shake my head. "I doubt she knows it's my birthday."

She simply nods. Why would Arshiya know? Just as I have no clue when her birthday is.

The coming moments we spend in silence just looking around. My father is still anxious given this Randeep fella still hadn't shown. It's different seeing him like this because normally, people wait on him. Yesterday, as much as I pitied the guy I've never met before, today I kinda wished he was interested in politics. He'd probably give my father a run for his money and power. He's already doing a bang-up job by making everyone else await his presence.