seven//Gold and Guns

Sophia Mattson
Thursday (three days later)

Jesse's dad has already bought our plane tickets. One for Jesse and one for a "close friend".

I'm no genius, but that's definitely not me.

But nevertheless, I find myself setting aside a few pieces of clothing and some items I like so that packing my suitcase next week will be easier.

Everything lined up well, surprisingly, and the date of Jesse's party is not too close, but is still in the timeframe of when I need to pick up Lacey's kid.

I helped her with all the paperwork, and exactly three phone calls and ten signatures later, in two weeks I am free to hand in the papers to the Child Security and Protection Agency and collect the little girl with no hassles.

After having a shower, I throw my blonde mop into a messy bun and put on my favourite chunky gold necklace.

I slip on a floral crop top and faded ripped jeans, along with my black booties and a plain leather cross body purse.

I look rather nice, if I do say so myself. Kind of classy.

I check my watch. I got it from my dad for my birthday.

It's white with gold numbers and tiny diamonds, and a little hand ticks away the hours before I need to leave. And meet my doom.

Since we will be staying together for at least three weeks, I decided to meet up with Jesse at our local coffee shop to talk.

I just want to talk and become a slightly less awkward pair. Especially since we will be arriving at Jesse's party as dates.

Gross.

I drive my mom's little car down the road to the mall, and park it next to the small Starbucks.

No way will I admit to being a basic white girl, but I do enjoy a good chocolate frappé.

I breathe out slowly, turning off the ignition and stepping out into the afternoon sun.

I walk into the shop, filling my lungs with the smell of fresh ground coffee beans. I look around the shop, and groan loudly when I see him, leaning over a table, flirting with a pretty brunette.

Can't that boy keep it in his pants for one day?

Exasperated but determined, I walk over and sit next to him, close enough that our arms touch.

I'm gonna get rabies.

"Hey babe. Sorry I'm late," I look over at his confused expression, smile and run a protective hand down his arm affectionately before looking at the girl, pretending to be confused.

"Who's this?" I raise an eyebrow, feigning innocence and curiosity.

Quality acting, right here.

The girl sends an icy glare to Jesse, and I struggle to hide the satisfaction evident in my face.

Despite her deathly look, she says in a sweet voice,

"Oh, no one. Enjoy your afternoon." With one last hard stare at Jesse, she stands up and stalks away.

I sigh, getting up and sitting across from him, in the girl's empty seat.

"What the hell was that all about? You just totally ruined my night." Jesse stares at me in disbelief.

I scrunch my face.

"That's so gross. Well, you couldn't control your whoremones, so I had to," I say, casually looking over the menu.