Chapter 8

"Impossible... I banished you... You should have died-" Bloodstar breathed, eyes widening

"Then perhaps I am a ghost. Look around, Bloodstar. These cats can see me. I am reality. We are all reality." Burningoak meowed to Bloodstar.

"Why are you here? You... You're evil! You killed your own brother! You hurt your friends! You attempted murder on your own leader." Bloodstar snapped back. Burningoak flinched.

"May I say something..." peeped a small cat who was watching them.

"Go! You... Wait you're a Dawnclan cat, right?" Burningoak asked, her eyes showing deep curiosity.

The Dawnclan Deputy went mum.

"Back to the fight at hand then." she mewed shrugging off doubts that were nagging at her. "Cats of Deathclan! You all know Bloodstar is a tyrant. He took down an entire clan, just so he could have their territory. What kind of leader does that?"

"I... Don't listen to her! She... She's lying! I am your leader! Listen to me!" Bloodstar yowled a bit too desperately. Burningoak's eyes followed the leader's gaze around the camp.

"He feeds on your faith, your loyalty, your worship. But most of all, he feeds on power. The previous Deathclan leader probably only chose Bloodstar to become deputy because Bloodstar looked strong. He looked like he would be a good, strong leader. And I don't blame the old Deathclan leader. But now, Bloodstar, you will be punished for your impudence." 

Burningoak stepped forward, lifting her head to face the cats.

"But any cat loyal to Bloodstar shall also suffer his pain."

Fire burned in her eyes and she glared hard at Bloodstar, as flames spawned around her body.

"May Starclan watch over us and remember me, this battle and all its details. May all cats remember me!"

And with that, she leaped forward, hissing. Her body collided with Bloodstar's, as she burnt his flank. Bloodstar stood up shakily and he sidestepped to the left. Burningoak copied him, making sure he stayed in front of her. With a few clicks of her claws, they were surrounded by fire. She lunged for him, burning his face. He yowled in pain before blindly slashing in front of him. Burningoak leapt out of the way nimbly, and leaped onto his back. She bit into his shoulder, hard.

"Run away Bloodstar. Go far, far away."

"No. I will never leave this clan never-"

Burningoak stuck a claw to his throat, digging it deeper, while Bloodstar gurgled and thrashed beneath her. Eventually he stopped. She stepped back, anticipating his next move. Bloodstar shuddered and shivered for a while, before he let out a strangled scream and collapsed entirely. Burningoak waited a bit more, then padded forwards slowly. Blood poured from his neck and mouth, and there were burns all over his body. She could sense Bloodstar's spirit next to her, his rancid breath stinging her nostrils. But then she heard him sigh softly, before there was a whoosh of air. She dipped her head to Bloodstar's body, guilt and shame hovering around her like a thick mist. Tears blurred her vision. What have I done... she thought Why...

However, she felt a warm something inside of her, like a soft flame freshly kindled in her heart. A starry cat stepped out of her body.

"I am Firestar. I was once leader of Thunderclan. I watched through your eyes and protected you from bad spirits who would want to possess you. But now you are on your own. You must re-assemble Fireclan, the clan made in my honour. You will face fights and battles of all kinds, losing your lives one by one. So now, go, go and restore Fireclan to its former glory. And remember, Starclan watches over you always."

Firestar swooshed up into the sky, leaving a sparkly mist in his wake. Burningoak's eyes were filled with awe, hope and anticipation.

"Ready to go, ma'am?" came a smooth, familiar voice. She spun around and bounded over to Dagger who was grinning.

"What is it?" she meowed

"Oh, nothing. Me and Socky are getting married."

Burningoak snorted. "About as likely as Bloodstar nuzzling me lovingly."

"Deathclan want me to be... To be their leader. Some want to join Fireclan too."

"Great! You can live in the Dead Forest, Fireclan can live here!"

"Perfect plan. At the next gathering we can share news of our victory!"

"Let it be known that today, was an end and a beginning!" Burningoak yowled. But there were still many fights and battles to come...