~August~

Ethan's tutoring business was in full swing. It had started to get busy with school starting soon, but Ethan hoped it would slow down. He was almost working Lex's crazy hours. That's why hours free meant everything. Hannah had her dentist appointment and Ethan was there, spending precious moments with her. Hannah leaned into Ethan in the waiting room.

"What's shaking, Banana? Is everything okay?" Ethan asked.

"Yeah. I've barely had any time with you and Lex. I've missed you guys," she said. Ethan offered a tight hug.

"You can always say something and I can say no to clients," he said.

"As much as I'd appreciate that, you deserve this," she responded as an assistant appeared from the hallway.

"Hannah Foster?" Hannah stood up solemnly with Ethan by her side. "Hi, you're going to be coming with me right now."

Ethan put a hand on Hannah's shoulder and they walked together to the back of the dentist's office. It was very crowded, especially with school starting soon.

An hour later, Hannah and Ethan returned home. Lex was still working, and Ethan was figuring out a tutoring schedule for the school year. He wouldn't have all day available anymore, so he would have to turn back some clients that were there more than once a week. Put a limit before there was a steady schedule and then maybe, maybe, he could add a bit more.

When Lex returned from work at about 6:15, Ethan looked up from his work. "Hey, babe, how was your day?" He asked her.

"It was normal. But I have a question for you."

"Shoot."

"So some dogs were found and they want fosters before the next adoption event so they can get homes. Can we foster one?" Lex asked as she let Bailey off of her leash.

"What breed are they?" Ethan asked, locking the front door.

"Chihuahua," Lex replied.

"And when's the next event?"

"Saturday. It would be two days and then we find fosters or forever homes," she explained.

"We can do that. And if you need to keep Bailey home or something, we can take care of her. We start school next week," he said.

"That would be great. I'm going to bring one home tomorrow and we'll go from there," Lex smiled, heading into the kitchen to hug Hannah.

"I heard something about fostering a dog," Hannah said, hugging Lex.

"It's a two-day foster, Banana. But how was the dentist?" Lex asked in return.

"No cavities, and no mention of braces!" Ethan cut in proudly.

"And I got a new toothbrush and toothpaste," Hannah added. Lex grinned at both of them.

"I just love you guys so much," she said.

The next day, Lex came home with Bailey and a new, smaller dog. Before Lex could even lock the door, Hannah raced in. "Hey, Banana."

"Hi, Lexi. What's its name?" Hannah asked.

"This is Carole. She's about eight years old and we're going to be taking care of her until Saturday, when she'll most likely find a foster family or a forever home," Lex explained to Hannah.

The adoption event came quicker than anyone in the Foster/Green household could have expected. Despite what little time they had spent with Carole, they still formed a close bond with her. Hannah and Ethan were out and about as Lex waited at the adoption event. Lots of people came, but they were hesitant about Carole and preferred the other dogs. As much as Lex felt her heart break, she was secretly a little happy. Carole could be hers.