~September~

Avery had returned the second day of school. Ethan was relieved that she had now taken over the class and he only had to teach math every day and nothing else.

On one Thursday, Avery asked him to stay behind. "Ethan," she said, facing him on the other side of the desk. He felt unusually small when in this position .

"Yeah? I do want to let you know that Lex is about to pick me up and I still have to get Hannah," Ethan said, eyeing his watch. After seeing Paul too reliant on his phone, Ethan took Hannah's advice and wore a small watch he found once.

"I just want to let you know that I will be out of town the day after tomorrow for one week. I emailed you the lesson plans so you can start preparing. Thursday is parent night and you have to be there on my behalf. Tell them you are on a gap year. I just know that there won't be a class if you tell them you're a dropout, so kindly refrain from mentioning that. Make sure you tell them that you taught summer school. I know these are lies, but it's for the best. On that note, I also want to ask you something," she said, powering down the computer.

"Shoot," Ethan responded, texting Lex as she called him.

"This is going to sound like a lot, but I want you to start working on getting your GED. I know that you only have to learn a few more things, but there are lots of options that I sent to you in another email. Next week, when I return, I want you to let me know if you want to do it. I'm not going to force you, but I know it can help you a fuck-ton," Avery said, getting her things. Not only was Ethan surprised by this elementary school teacher's word choice, his superior wanted him to get a high school diploma? That was weird.

"I'll think about it," Ethan said, flinging his backpack on.

"See you tomorrow," Avery said, locking the door behind Ethan. Lex called Ethan immediately.

"I'm coming," Ethan said when he picked up.

"Okay, no rush. Bailey's here, by the way. Just so you know," Lex said.

"I'm about to sign out, but I'll see you soon. How was work?" Ethan asked, hurriedly walking to the front office.

"Normal. Nothing out of the ordinary," Lex responded. She made eye contact with Ethan through the car window. "Tell me about your day when you get in."

The line died as Ethan took the passenger seat. "Hi!" He exclaimed as Lex pulled out of the passenger seat.

"How was your day?" She asked him.

"It was normal until just now. Next week, I'm teaching on my own. Also, Avery wants me to start getting my GED," he said, shifting uncomfortably in his seat. Lex's only sign that she had heard that was her knuckles whitening on the steering wheel. She took a deep breath, slow and controlled.

"What did you think about that?"

"I'm not sure. I know that I need to keep teaching, but I'm worried that if I take a class, I won't be able to teach anymore. That's the last thing I want."

Hannah listened from the backseat, hugging Bailey. Lex and Ethan rarely fought, but Hannah could tell one was coming from her sister's body language. Lex's jaw had tightened and she messed around with a hair tie on her wrist, twisting it around her fingers. Ethan seemed to have picked it up by the way that he kept running his fingers through his hair. As Lex turned onto Pine, Hannah clicked Bailey's leash on.

Hannah leaped out of the car with Bailey and went inside as soon as Lex parked. She watched as her younger sister went inside with Bailey. That could only mean one thing. "I guess she's picked it up," Lex said, switching off the ignition and facing Ethan.