~October~

The fall air was calming. Calm was what Ethan needed, especially that he was going to have his first day of night school to get his GED. After dinner, Lex, Hannah, and Bailey piled into the car with Ethan. "You ready?" Lex asked Ethan, taking his hand as she turned out of the residential street.

"I guess. I just hope it won't suck and people won't judge me. I have a feeling I'll definitely be the youngest and everyone will be confused as to why I'm there when I'm high school aged," he said.

"Hey, don't let their opinions bother you. Today is just a placement test, and you'll hopefully not have too much to learn. You've been in school longer than I have," Lex said. She finally pulled up to Hatchetfield High School. The lights were on outside and inside. Ethan took a deep breath and gripped his backpack. "Good luck. Text or call me when you need to be picked up."

"Thanks," Ethan said, giving Lex a quick kiss before slipping out of the car. She watched as he entered the building safely.

"Lexi?" Hannah asked Lex as they started on the way home.

"What's up?" Lex replied, turning left.

"Is Ethan okay? Did he get in trouble at work for not having graduated high school?" Hannah asked. Lex looked back briefly.

"He's okay and he didn't get in trouble. Ms. Johnson just asked him if he wanted to get a GED, which is similar to a high school diploma. She mentioned that it would help him a lot in the future and he decided to do it," Lex explained. That's when they got home. Lex and Hannah entered. With a quick glance at the clock, Lex realized there was an hour and a half before Hannah's bedtime. "Banana, do you want to work on a bit of Bailey's therapy training?"

Hannah grinned. "Of course."

Ethan nervously waited at the front-row desk he chose. There weren't that many people taking the class. According to the teacher, there were only twenty students. Mostly everyone was here except for five. When they finally arrived after what appeared to be an hour, the teacher spoke.

"Hi, everyone. I'm Grant Hughes and I'll be your night school teacher. Since we're all going to be together for a while, let's all get up and introduce ourselves. Our age, why you're here, and what job you have. Let's being with Amanda Brooks," the teacher said.

"Hi, everyone. I'm Amanda and I'm 27. I currently work at a cell phone shop and in order to be promoted I need a GED."

A few introductions went by. Ethan tried to remember the names, but he couldn't. "Ethan Green?" Grant asked. Ethan stood up nervously.

"Um, hi. I'm Ethan and I'm 19. Currently, I work as a TA and math tutor. I'm here because the teacher I TA asked if I'd want to get my GED and I agreed to it," Ethan said.

"This is just out of curiosity, but what's the highest math level you know?" Grant asked.

"Stats and multivariable calculus," Ethan responded. He heard muttering around the room before hurriedly sitting down.

After half an hour, the teacher handed out the placement tests. Ethan finished at around the same time as everyone else. Eager to leave, his hopes were soon shattered by the teacher asking him to stay. The class filtered out and finally it was just Ethan and Grant.

"So, why are you here taking night school when you could just enroll in high school at your age?" Grant asked.

"I work full-time. I live with my girlfriend and her sister. Their mom's in rehab and their dad left, so my girlfriend's also working full-time. We're both dropouts and living paycheck to paycheck. I can't afford to go back to school," Ethan said.