Winter Walk {Chrissa & Daryl}

{Chrissa and Daryl are walking through the woods in the middle of winter, it's cold and this is Daryl's first time out of Georgia}

The snow crunches beneath my feet as I walk beside Daryl, his feet sinking even further into the snow than my own.

"How the hell can someone live like this?" Daryl grunts as he tries to move through the snow, lifting his heavy boots and letting them crunch back down onto the snow.

I chuckle to myself, the cold was something I'd grown up with. I'd only moved to Georgia a few years before the turn happened. "When you grow up with this type of weather you get used to it."

"But it's so cold." Daryl is whining again.

I nod slowly. "That happens up north."

He rolls his eyes, a shiver coursing through his body. "I'm so frickin cold."

"Just focus on something else." I tell him, trying to share my wisdom of the weather with the newcomer. He'd been complaining the whole time since we hit the snow and it was giving me a good laugh.

"Can't we go back to Georgia?"

It's my turn to roll my eyes. "You know why we're here."

Daryl grumbles something I can't understand.

Carol had fallen ill back in Georgia. We didn't know how long she had and we needed to find a cure. We knew it wouldn't be an easy trip but she had contracted something we couldn't cure with the meds we had.

Daryl argued with me when I told him I was going with. He said he wanted me safe back home, but if he was going out so was I. I also knew that Carol was something special to him. Not the same kind of special I was but something special.

I was also the only one who knew how to make it in the winter. I knew this type of weather unlike anybody else. Daryl had never even been out of Georgia.

"What kept you in Georgia for so long?" I asked the question that had been pondering my thoughts for a while now.

Daryl just shrugged. "Mostly my brother."

Ah yes, Merle dibshit Dixon.

"That and I️ had no reason to leave. Had nowhere to go if I️ did." Daryl explained.