Beautiful Scars {Samantha & Carl}

{Samantha walks in on Carl changing the bandage on his eye}

"Hey, Carl I was just-"

I stopped dead in my tracks after I'd opened the door, my fist was still clenched around the doorknob.

"I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were..."

He fumbles as he hurries to look away from me. "It's fine, just go." He says coldly.

"Carl," I moved farther into the bathroom. "you don't have to hide it from me." My hand instinctually rubbed his arm to try and comfort him.

I knew how much he hated his eye. How much he despised the permanent marks that covered his face.

"I told you to go, Sammy."

I sighed, wrapping my arms around his waist and leaning against his back. "Please, baby. You don't have to do this alone. I'm here for you."

"I know that... I just," He sighed back at me. "I'm hideous."

"You know that's not true, Carl."

"Just leave so I can change my bandage alone."

I shook my head defiantly. "I'm not leaving until you accept the fact that this does not change you. Your scars don't make me love you any less."

He was looking at my arms still wrapped around his waist, tracing the light scars that lined them. I had been where he was now before.

I knew what it was like to hate something about yourself as much as he did... I knew what it was like to hide something to yourself because you were ashamed of it... I knew exactly what he was feeling and he was tracing the proof of it. 

Slowly he turned around as I gently guided him with my arms until he was facing me again. His hair had fallen over his eyes, keeping me from seeing his scars.

"Let me help you," I whispered, getting a fresh bandage ready to put over his eye. "You shouldn't have to do this alone."

Carl still hesitated. I reached my hand to his face, slowly beginning to push pieces of hair away from his eye, revealing more and more of his skin each time.

I grabbed the last chunk and moved it to the side. His face was now completely exposed.

"You're still beautiful," I told him while I grabbed the fresh bandage and placed it over his eye. He lifted his hair while I wrapped the gauze around his head. "I still love you."

"What did I ever do to deserve you?" Carl asked as he stroked my cheek once I was done.

He finally pulled me in until our lips sunk into each other.

When he pulled away, I caught my breath.

He rested his forehead on mine and whispered, "Thank you."