Chapter 3

I woke up with my hands tied to a wall above my head, grimacing in pain. I stared around the room, my eyes wide with fear. What was going to happen to me now? I seemed to be in some sort of basement, based on the lack of windows or natural light anywhere. I felt like crying, but I knew that would be foolish.

The basement door was thrown open, and Colm walked down with a plate of stew, eating happily.

"So, Dutch's new girl," he was horribly close to my face, "It's good to see ya."

I obviously just chose not to speak, staring at him with fear in my eyes.

"When my boys told me they got you, oh I was overjoyed," he laughed, "See, your father owed me a debt, one he didn't pay before his... unfortunate demise. So I told my boys to collect you, yet you weren't in the house when they arrived. But then I got word that you were riding with Dutch and his boys, yet you never seemed to be allowed out of his sight."

I stared, my mouth twitching with fear.

"I didn't know how I'd get to you, then they slipped up," he shrugged, "It seemed too easy. But we got you, and I get my debt repaid. But, I don't want to hurt a sweet girl such as yourself anymore, not just because of your pa. So, I'll offer you my own deal. Tell me where they're hiding and I'll kill them myself, you'll get to go. If not, well, I'm sure Dutch is gonna come raging over here himself when he finds out... then the law will be waiting and they'll deal with him."

My face contorted in fury and I spat at his feet, my whole body shaking with fear and anger.

"We'll get you to talk, or we'll get the law," he laughed, "I don't care either way."

He raised the object in his hands and brought in down on my back. I felt it slicing the skin and realised, it was a whip. I didn't scream as he tore my back apart and I was defenceless to stop him. I wanted to scream, to shout, but no sound came out. I just wanted it to end!

I didn't know how long it had been when I next came to. I was feeling a bit more with it, looking around to find a way out. There was a dull ache in my back, one that grew more pronounced if I moved, but I fought to ignore it.

A knife had been left on the table, just slightly out of reach. But I could reach with my foot, if I stretched just a bit I could grab it! I worked as best I could, stretching my legs to their limits, before I finally grabbed the knife.

I used all my strength to force my foot up to my hands, grabbing the knife, and fought for a few seconds to unlock the chains, crashing to the ground. I groaned before scrambling to my feet and over to the desk.

"Shut your hole," I heard someone walking down the steps and rushed to the wall, slightly out of view. This was my chance.

He stepped into the room and ran forward, seeing it empty.

"What the hell?" I pounced on him before he could utter another syllable, knocking him out.. I grabbed his gun and got ready to make my way out, praying there weren't too many of them about. I didn't want to have to shoot anyone.

Two men walked past the opening to the cellar, so I hid in the darkness, waiting for them to pass. As soon as they did, I crouched and ran as fast as I could to a small shed where I could take cover and assess my escape route.

I didn't have weapons to collect, it didn't seem as though they had taken my horse with them. I needed to go on foot, and I needed to go fast.

I had no idea where I was, but I knew I needed to avoid the roads, O'Driscolls would be patrolling in case Dutch came, but I could feel my consciousness slipping quickly. I had to make it either to camp or a town, I wouldn't survive out here in this state.