Chapter 14

It was a week before I could stand, and before I could stomach more than just tiny amounts of food. Strength had returned in my arms, allowing me to communicate with more than three people again, and I was overjoyed. I could walk around, help with chores, laugh and smile! Things seemed good again, and I was more than happy.

But I soon realised one other personality was missing from camp.

Where's Miss O'Shea?

Dutch stared at my writing with a frown before sighing.

"Don't know," he said, "She was gone by the time I got back. She had clearly had enough of me."

You didn't treat her well

"I know," he looked at me gently, "I realised that when I was away. I was ready to make amends when we returned, but I'd left it too late. My own fault, I guess."

She truly loved you

"I know she did," he sighed, "And I threw it away."

We were sat at his tent, the rest of camp was bustling around, doing chores, making things more homely. We weren't sure where we were going next, whether we should lie low or go on another job and try to get out. But for now, we just had to recover.

But Dutch and I's conversation was interrupted by a new arrival.

"So, Dutch," I recognised the voice. Miss O'Shea, "Did you miss me?"

"I found her, drunk in Saint Denis," Uncle was behind her and I immediately had a bad feeling.

"You're back, how jolly, Miss O'Shea," Dutch commented as we all turned around.

"It's Molly, you sack of shit," she yelled, her words slurring.

"Back and drunk," Dutch's voice was dangerous and I gave Arthur a worried glance as I moved to stand beside him, "Molly, calm down."

"Who made you the master, the Lord God Almighty?" she threw her hands up in the air as everyone gathered around, "I won't be ignored, Dutch van der Linde. I aren't him, I ain't her, or any of your stooges!"

She was swaying dangerously at this point.

"Calm yourself, miss," I saw Dutch was struggling to keep his voice level.

"You don't owe me nothing," she continued, "I don't owe you nothing. Nothing!"

"Okay," Dutch held his hands up, furious she was making such a scene, especially after everyone was so happy.

"I'll spit in your eye," she pointed at him, "I did... I told them!"

"I'm sorry?" Dutch asked and I felt my stomach drop. What now?

"Yeah, I told 'em, and I'll tell 'em again," this wasn't going to go well, "Now I've got God's ear."

"You told who what?" Dutch's voice cracked with anger and I involuntarily stepped back, Arthur mirroring my worried expression.

"Mr Milton and Mr Ross..." Molly continued, "About the bank robbery. And I wanted them to kill you."

"You did what?" Dutch drew his gun, his rage reaching boiling point.

I had to step in! I had to do something! I knew it wasn't her, the gears in my head started turning. Miss O'Shea was drunk, she loved Dutch and she would never betray him like that, no matter what he had done to her. She was hurting and wanted to hurt him, but she was so drunk she didn't consider the consequences.

"I loved you, you goddamn bastard!" she yelled, "Go on! Shoot me!"

"She ain't worth it," Arthur stepped forward, pushing Dutch's arm down.