Chapter 15

"Couldn't have said it better myself," Arthur said after silence fell, everyone watching Micah as he stalked off.

"Somebody who brings out the good in Micah, who could have guessed?" Dutch raised an eyebrow before offering me a wide smile, "Sit down, Pearson will bring you some food."

"Eliza, I..." Molly O'Shea hesitated, staring at me with regret clear in her eyes, "I owe you my life. I don't even remember what happened, the last thing I remember is being at the bar in Saint Denis. But I've been filled in, and I'm mortified."

"Don't worry," I smiled, taking the bowl I was offered, "I knew... you were just angry. I couldn't let you get hurt."

"You're a brave kid," Hosea said gently, "Foolish, but brave."

"I just... I don't want anyone else I love to get hurt," my head dropped, "None of you. If I can stop it..."

"But we don't want you hurt," Charles spoke up, "Arthur might be the one you view as a father, but we all view you as our child to some extent."

"You're my little sister, Eliza," Lenny leaned forward to squeeze my hand, "Big brothers are supposed to look out for their sisters."

"Seconded," Sean called, "We failed in our jobs too much, you've got things twisted!"

"You've been hurt too many times for my liking," Bill agreed gruffly, receiving murmurs of agreement.

"How about this - none of us get hurt again," Dutch spoke up, standing quickly, "Eliza is finally well enough to move again, we've got the money. Why waste time?"

"We're leaving?" I asked, my eyebrows shooting up.

"If you're well enough, there's no sense in delaying and allowing the Pinkertons to catch up," Dutch nodded, "Hosea, come with me. The rest of you, prepare to pack up. We leave as soon as we have transport."

I watched as the two men walked away, my stomach dropping. We were really leaving?

"Where... where do you think we'll go?" my voice was barely a whisper.

"Out of America," Lenny glanced at me, "Are you alright?"

I nodded silently.

"Kid, we're not daft," Sean leaned forward, "Something is wrong."

"It's just..." I shook my head, biting my lip.

"Don't you lot have somewhere to be?" Arthur said pointedly, and every one of them took the hint, making themselves scarce.

Arthur sighed slightly before taking my hands in his. He examined my face in silence for a few seconds, considering his next words, his eyes searching my face for some indication of what the problem was.

"Why don't you want to leave?" he asked gently, "A fresh start, no gang work, we can just be a family! Please, Liza, talk to me."

I shook my head silently, and he just sighed before kneeling in front of me, his gaze piercing. I knew that he wouldn't let this go, I didn't want to tell him but I could predict I had no real choice in the matter.

"I don't want to leave my family," I whispered.

"But we're your family?" the confusion was evident in his voice.

"No, my real family--" I regretted the words as soon as they left my mouth, they came out wrong, it wasn't what I meant, "No, I mean--"

"I see," Arthur nodded, trying to hide his hurt expression, "I understand. We can't replace your parents, and I won't force you to come with us. If you tell me somewhere you can go, I'll take you there. No hard feelings."