Chapter 8

I watched them ride off, trying not to panic. They wouldn't hurt a kid, surely they wouldn't hurt a kid. But they were messed up, that much was obvious. I knew messing with the two families would end badly, why didn't I say anything?

"Hey," a voice made me turn, I stared stupidly up at Micah, my hand still pressed against my shoulder, "Thank you."

I tilted my head at him in confusion, wishing I had my journal. For what?

"You saved my life," he scratched his head awkwardly, "Despite the fact I haven't been all that... well, kind to you. You got shot for me. So, thanks."

I gave him a small smile and nod of my head.

"And sorry, I guess?" The words seemed like they were difficult to form for him, I doubted he'd apologised much in his life, "I guess I thought you were weak, couldn't look after yourself, just because you don't talk. But you held your own today well."

I smiled again, shaking my head to indicate there were no hard feelings, before grimacing, a wave of pain rushing through me.

"Let me bandage that up for you, pressure'll alleviate the pain until Hosea can look at it proper," he said awkwardly, leading me to the campfire and forcing me to sit down.

He had grabbed bandages on his way over and was in the process of tying them as tightly as he could when Miss Grimshaw marched over, leaving the other girls to console Abigail.

"What are you doing, Mr Bell?" She demanded, obviously the idea of Micah helping me was more than hard to believe.

"She was shot, I'm trying to stop the bleeding until Hosea can have a look at it," he replied sharply, not stopping what he was doing.

She glanced at me, tilting her head to ask if I was okay, and I nodded at her. She gave Micah one last glare before leaving us again, and I fought the urge to grin. Miss Grimshaw was terrifying, but I could see how much she cared for the gang.

Micah finished up what he was doing and settled on a seat across from me, staring at me with intensity that frightened me somewhat.

"Do you ever speak nowadays?" He asked, taking me aback somewhat. Why was he suddenly interested?

I couldn't help but snicker at his forwardness, but I knew that was just how Micah was. I grabbed the journal that was sat by the campfire, the place I had left it last, and scribbled something down before showing him.

I speak to Arthur a lot. Sometimes Hosea

"Do you not want to speak to everyone?" He pressed, handing me the journal back.

I try. The words don't come out, even though I want them to. If I could just not be mute, I would choose that in a heartbeat

"Try now," he said, taking me by surprise, "There's nobody else here."

I hesitated. Why was he being so nice to me? All I'd done was stop him from being shot, something I'm sure anybody in the camp would have done. This nice side to Micah was slightly unnerving, but I guessed it would probably be worse if he was being horrid to me.

I took a deep breath before opening my mouth, trying to get the words out. Strangled noises that didn't even resemble words were all that came between just air, I felt my throat beginning to strain as I slumped in my seat, annoyed with myself. I'd never be normal.

"Its the most noise I've heard you make, if that'll make you feel better," Micah laughed slightly, but there was no hostility in it.

I'm trying to speak every time. I just don't think I'll ever be normal