six

as the distance between the two boys and their hometown increased, jisung and chenle found themselves worrying less about getting caught due to the circumstances they're under

as the distance between the two boys and their hometown increased, jisung and chenle found themselves worrying less about getting caught due to the circumstances they're under. the youngest had been driving for hours already today, and as the sun started to set he pulled off at the exit to daegu for the night.

chenle hadn't shut up about the plan to go to the nightclub since it was first proposed to him this morning. the only time he had been remotely silent was when he fell asleep a few hours ago—even then he still snored—and he woke up chatting about a dream he had (which you can guess, was about the nightclub). yet, jisung never found the heart to tell him to shut up.

"should we stop for dinner first? and maybe we should change into nicer clothes..." jisung offers, slowing his car speed as the daegu traffic grows heavier. the both of them are still in their pajamas from last night and he figured they would get more stares than desired if they went in like this. "aren't night clubs a black-tie affair?"

"that's how they are in the movies," chenle confirms with a smile tugging at his lips. "and dinner sounds great. i'm getting a little hungry, anyway. we could grab something quick, like fast-food?"

taking that as chenle's preference, jisung pulls of into a side road—following the signs for a nearby diner. he remembers a few years back he and chenle's family came to this part of daegu for a vacation and they ate dinner at this same place. he figures a sense of nostalgia would do them both some good.

the car slows and comes to a stop. he turns the car off and removes the keys from the ignition. from the looks of it, the diner doesn't have too many people inside, so he's eager to get the both of them inside and at a table.

he notices that chenle has some hesitation to exit the car, but he does after some mental debate. a confusion falls upon his face as he tries to remember why this restaurant seems so familiar. jisung steps closer to him, taking his wrist in his hand. "we came here a few years ago with your family."

chenle stiffens under jisung's fingers.

"you'll be okay, chenle," the younger says with a small smile, slowly moving his grasp downwards from chenle's wrist to his trembling hand. "no one's going to recognize you this far from home."

inside, it smells like grease with overtones of artificial sweetener. jisung likes the vibes here, the sounds of children laughing along with their families and the '80s music on the jukebox and the pastels decorating the area. and most of all, he likes that he's here with chenle.

as they follow the hostess to their table, chenle's arm intertwines with jisung's tightly. a few people stare but the youngest assumes it's because of the pajamas they're wearing. it may also be because they look—and feel—like a true couple. jisung blushes at the thought and chenle pretends not to notice, but he does, and smiles to himself.

"enjoy," the hostess says, sliding two menus on the table and hustling off to attend other customers.

jisung opens his menu to read it, but is utterly distracted by the beauty across from him. he stares a little-bit-too-obviously at chenle, watching him scan the menu and mutter to himself what he's going to order. jisung isn't sure if he could fall for the elder any more than he already has—but hasn't pointed that out to himself—though the moment chenle bites his lip as he continues reading gives him enough reason to do the following:

"let's run away to china."

"i beg your pardon?"

jisung repeats his suggestion as the song on the jukebox changes. it's that one popular song by tears for fears that jisung listened too every once in a while. "you and me. let's run away to china together. we can start a new life there. no more running around, no more hiding. and you speak chinese fluently—so you can teach me while we live there. it can't be that difficult, right?"

based on the flabbergasted look on chenle's face, his proposition might have been all for naught. sure, chenle is into pranks and ridiculous ideas, but maybe this is a bit of a stretch. this isn't nearly as crazy as faking one's own death—however, misreading where you stand with someone is quite bizarre.

nonetheless, he awaits chenle's response.

"you're serious?"

jisung grows pale. "of course i'm serious. unless, you know, you don't want to."

a pause falls between them. "do you have coins? i want to change the song."

he frowns at the sudden change of subject, at the same time sliding a 500 won coin across the table. "it's a stupid idea, chenle, we don't have to. just forget i said anything."

"b-five. every breath you take." chenle inserts the coin into the mini tabletop jukebox, pressing a few keys until the intro to the famous police song echos through the diner.

waves of nostalgia crash over the youngest as he recalls this song in hidden memories. when he was younger, chenle introduced him to this song at one of their sleepovers. at every school dance, chenle requested the deejay play every breath you take so the two can dance to it together.

it was their song. it was chenle's favorite.

jisung hadn't heard this song since the night chenle 'died.' he refused to listen to it since.

"c—chenle, i—"

"let's continue making memories like those, yeah?" the elder smiles, taking jisung's hand on top of the table and rubbing it with his thumb. "i'll go to china with you, jisung. i'll go a thousand times if it means we can have a peaceful life together. we can by tickets online and fly out no later than next week."