Return to Windhelm

They got up in the morning and took turns in the washroom. Duna came back to the room as Farkas finished with his own warpaint, and he set to work painting hers on as well.

"I wanna get our own house," Farkas announced as he traced the line of dark paint down to her neck.

Duna opened her eyes and just blinked at him in surprise for a moment. "I'd like that," she agreed, sounding thoughtful before closing her eyes again so Farkas could paint the other side of her face...

Farkas smiled, "a place for just us, so we can take baths together, and make love whenever we want..."

A small smile tugged at the corners of Duna's lips as she tried to keep still while he painted, and he felt her cheeks warm with a faint blush under the cool paint. Then, when he finished the second line of paint she opened her eyes and grinned at him. "That sounds wonderful," she said happily, "Lydia mentioned that house over by Warmaiden's is for sale, she even said the Jarl was hoping I'd buy it."

"I was thinkin' of building our own place out away from everything," Farkas shrugged, "but a house in Whiterun would be less work."

"We can always buy the house in Whiterun so we have a place while we save up and build another home," Duna suggested.

"We can," Farkas agreed. It would be more private than Jorrvaskr, and still be close enough that they could take Companions' jobs if they didn't have to get into the war... "if it's the house I'm thinkin' of it should be plenty for just us."

"Alright then," Duna smiled, "once Alduin is dead, we celebrate by buying a house and not leaving it for at least a week."

"Can't wait," Farkas grinned before leaning down to kiss her. He could feel the happiness in her kiss and he wanted to pull their armor back off, but moments later she sighed and pulled back. It smelled like she was thinking the same thing he was, but...

"We should get on the road before we have to wash and do our paint all over again," she pointed out a little regretfully.

Farkas sighed, "alright love. Let's go."

They got breakfast and Farkas wrote a quick letter to Vilkas. He left the letter with the innkeeper to give to the courier when he made his rounds, and they set off for Windhelm.

As they rode northwest Farkas thought about what Vilkas had said about Jergen having found them near Shor's Stone... somewhere out here, between Riften and Kynesgrove... he wasn't sure if he wanted to find the place or not... would he recognize it, or would it just be another pile of rocks in the woods now? Would it bring back awful memories, or answer questions?

He decided he did want to know, but now wasn't the time... after Alduin, after the beast blood was cured, then they'd have to come back out here... with Vilkas, and probably Lydia... Farkas had a feeling there were answers to be found...

But for now, they rode on. Duna grumbled about the cold the further north they got, and had to pull out one of the pelts they usually laid underneath their bedrolls when camping. They stopped for lunch in Kynesgrove so she could warm up and she actually dug through her enchanted pack for all the pelts they'd collected over their travels. When they got back on their horses she used a couple of wolf pelts as a blankets across her legs, and informed him that she'd have to ride with him if they had to be on the road after dark. Farkas couldn't help but chuckle at her as they continued on toward Windhelm... the mighty Dragonborn was looking like his adorable little rabbit again.

They reached Windhelm late in the afternoon and stabled their horses. Farkas could hear Duna's heart beginning to race as they made their way into the city. He reached down and took her hand.