Chapter 16

Frank’s POV

After dinner at my sister’s, it wasn’t long before I was exhausted. Gerard’s mood had shifted entirely by the end of the day, from being angry over his mother’s death to accepting it and even some slight smiling. He wasn’t very tired, but he gave into getting in bed once my eyes couldn’t stay open any longer.

I loved sleeping with Gerard. His bed was much comfier than mine, and I found it much easier to sleep with him looking after me. I never had nightmares while pressed to his warm body. I knew I was going to hate sleeping alone, and for a whole week, but that was days away so I tried to not think about it. All that mattered in that moment, that perfect moment, was that I was wrapped in the arms of my favorite person on earth, and nothing could ruin that.

I smiled, appreciating how amazing the moment really was. I tried to scoot closer to Gerard’s warm body, even though I was already completely engulfed by his arms. I nudged my face in between his chest and his chin.

“I can feel you breathing on my neck,” Gerard giggled as he whispered. “Feels good, my neck is freezing.”

“Oh, does it?” I breathed harder, teasing him.

“Okay okay, that just feels weird.” Gerard laughed as he ran his fingers up and down my back softly.

“Sorry,” I kissed his neck. “Pull the blankets up, I’m cold too.”

Gerard pulled the comforters over our heads and I instantly fell into a deep sleep.

The next morning, I woke up before Gerard; something that I figured to be very rare. I had to take advantage of the opportunity.

I untangled myself from his arms and tiptoed to the kitchen. I was never good at cooking, so I didn’t know how I was going to manage to follow any simple, back-of-the-box pancake recipe, but I attempted anyways.

I made quite a sight of the kitchen, spilling pancake mix on everything in a three foot radius. I somehow managed to crack the eggs cleanly into the mixing bowl, but the cracked shells ended up all over the counter.

In short, it was a mess. I finally got the batter to a somewhat normal consistency, and considering plain pancakes didn’t seem special enough, drowned half a bag of chocolate chips in the mix. I heated up the cooktop and tried my best to make conventional, circular pancakes, but they ended up more like random splatters.

I turned on the coffee machine, and of course, the familiar buzz was enough to make sleepy Gerard fumble out of his bedroom, rubbing his eyes and scratching at his messy morning hair.

“Look who’s finally up!” I teased, grabbing an extra mug for Gerard.

“Oh shut it Iero, I’m always awake before you!” He nudged me before sitting down. “So, you can actually make…” Gerard leaned over and looked at the mess cooking on the stove. “Pancakes?”

I smiled down to the coffee mugs, making his the way he liked it: black with a small spoon of sugar. “Yeah, I guess you could call them that.” I placed his mug on the table in front of him.

“Well, they could be a lot worse!” Gerard took a sip of coffee. “Do you need any help?”

“No no no no,” I scurried to grab a plate. “You can’t do anything, this is officially your day off now.”

“Oh it is, huh? So does that mean I get to boss you around all day?” He winked, gulping down his hot caffeine.

“Well, to a degree,” I sipped on mine.