Chapter 14: E

I sat in Director Stones' office, my foot pacing in a ricochet of nerves. There was rain in the air, but no downpour from heaven would erase the mistakes made today. I had hurt Azaria – badly, and for what? I've been bullied before, yet, I never reacted that way. I could've killed her, and blamed Raider for everything . . . but truth be told, this was all on me.

If anyone was to blame, it was me. I had allowed them to define me. I had allowed them to darken the deepest crevices of my thoughts with their corrupt ways. I allowed them in such a shameless way, that I was about to throw away my whole future, if I had not already.

I could not help but think about my brother. He had such a gentle soul, but strangely he didn't get along with everyone. You would expect that he would, because everyone liked him, but he didn't really mingle. He kept to himself and forced me into isolation with him. The only friend he had was Raider, and the only friend I was allowed was Azaria. Now, he was gone, and I hated Raider for what he did – and Azaria would never speak to me again, not after what I did to her.

"You're quite the troublemaker recently Ensley." Director Stone announced behind me as she ducked into the tent. My body jerked slightly, and I could feel my chest tighten as my body tensed up. I couldn't bring myself to look into her eyes, yet I could feel hers burn into my head as she made her way around the desk and sat down.

"I will take my punishment as it is fit, Director Stone. Even if that means being shunned or losing my scholarship." I said, bringing myself to meet her dark eyes. She curled her fingers under her palms and pursed her lips in a sort of disappointment that mothers gave young children.

"You showed violence today that I had never, in my twenty years of being an educator, had seen from another student." She said after a pause, and continued, "I've seen plenty of fights. I've seen girls quarrel over boys and books. I've seen rejects stand up to bullies. But never, have I seen such a murderous intent from my students, like you showed today."

I sunk deeper into my chair. I felt shame and defenselessness choke me, with tears tickling the back of my throat.

"Is . . . is Azaria okay?" I croaked, fiddling with my hands.

"Yes, she has been taken to the infirmary, but it seems that she might suffer from a serious concussion, and even a fractured ribcage." She announced louder than I expected, and a tear slipped onto my hand. The rain dropped at the same time, like a summer love, always late but never everlasting. "But as for your punishment, you will not be shunned and you will be put on probation regarding your scholarship as this is your first offense. Apart from that, you will serve three weeks service, cleaning the grounds and weeding the gardens in the Botany Block."

I looked up at her and nodded. The rain got louder as it pounded against the plastic material of the tents. She looked past me and met eyes with our new guest, who I did not even bother to look at. I kept looking at Director Stone, thankful for her leniency in not suspending me completely.

"Follow your superior back to class." She said and I nodded as I stood. She cleared her throat as to get my attention, and I lifted my head. "Ensley don't waste your potential. You will regret it, trust me."

"Thank you." I whispered, wiping the dwindling tears from my face. I turned around to see Raider stand there, and I felt a bit taken aback because he was the last person I wanted – or expected – to see. But, to follow Director Stones orders I followed him out of the tent, saying nothing to him.

I walked briskly through the passage, the rain smoldering around us as it hit the hot ground. It created a misted affair, which made it even the more urgent that I disappear in it, but before I could I felt Raider grab me by the arm into another tented cover. I had not felt it outside, but once under cover, my body was shivering, and my eyes were swollen from tears. It felt like my emotions sat on a string, a string that was threading out.