Chapter 31

Jesse's face is painted with rage. His eyes filled with worry and sadness as he hastily makes his way over to me. When I called him, he instinctively knew something was wrong. Luckily he was in town on business in New York and met me in a little coffee shop an hour after I called.
"God, Freya. What the fuck did he do to you?" His hands gently tracing the cuts on my face. And to think, if he had only seen me before I went to the bathroom to clean up. Gratefully the coffee house has been pretty dead, so other than the two baristas at the register, no one seems too concerned about the bruised and bloody girl taking up the table in the back.
"Can we talk about this somewhere else?" I whispered, embarrassment taking hold of me. Jesse nods and helps me up. I try and fail to hide the wince of pain as I move my body. Before I know it I'm in Jesse's arms. His hold tight and warm and I naturally lay my head on his shoulder as he holds me close. I can feel his heart beating fast and my hand covers his chest and in the same moment Jesse leans down and kisses my head. I close my eyes and when I open them we're in his hotel room in the Ritz. I can only imagine what the fancy, schmancy, people thought about the hulky, brooding, drop dead gorgeous man carrying the bruised and bleeding girl through the hotel. My head shakes, trying to rid it of the thoughts and Jesse peers over me, his crystal blue eyes, now navy and filled with hurt.

When I meet his gaze there's a sigh of relief. His forehead meets mine and he breaths slowly. "I thought I lost you, flower. Promise me you're done with him. Promise me. Please." his voice is barely heard and my heart clenches at his words. He sounds so hurt and I can't help the stream of tears that start to leave my eyes. I look up at him as he wipes them away with his thumbs and nod. "I'm done with him. I promise. I left him. I'm done." my voice breaks as I inform him of what happened. His face turns red and his eyes fill with darkness. He's furious. "And what's to fucking stop me from finding him and killing him!" Jesse bellows, standing up abruptly from the couch and I hastily grab his arm, pulling his gaze back down to me. I take a gulp, and another one before telling him, "I'm pregnant".

Jesse's eyes go wide. His shock can't be hid and I know exactly what's going through his mind. How far along I am. But he doesn't word his question, he simply lowers himself down to his knees in front of me and grips my thighs. "Are you....is the....." he takes a deep breath and closes his eyes briefly before meeting mine again, "Are you both alright?" I nod, tears breeching the surface again, "I think so. I cradled my stomach when he was kicking me so I don't think he got to the baby at all" More fury invades his face and I know it takes everything in him not to go find Kennedy and kill him. "Do you want me to take you to the hospital?" Jesse's question catches me off guard and it takes me a minute to answer. I shake my head no, hoping that he understands my want to keep this private, my need to be alone right now. Jesse nods his head in understanding and then pulls me up from the couch. He holds me in his arms and brings us to the king sized bed. He lays me down gently before heading to the bathroom, returning with a warm wash cloth Jesse proceeds to clean me up. Carefully and gently he wipes over my entire body, wincing and whimpering slightly at the cuts and bruises as if he can feel them on himself. My heart feels full and there's so much love in my eyes as I watch him take care of me. When Jesse's content with my clean up and gets into bed with me crawling his way from the end of the bed, up, until he reaches my stomach and gently brushes his hand over my growing bump.

He looks up at me and back down at my tummy, leaning down he kisses me, long and soft. My eyes flutter closed and it takes everything in me not to cry hysterically. This moment feels insanely intimate and after the day I just had I don't think I can take it. I grab Jesse's bicep and try to pull him up toward my face, he complies and lays next to me, nuzzling his face in my hair. He breathes in deeply, his lips lightly kissing my neck, my cheek, my jaw. "I wish that it wasn't his. I pray to God that it could be mine." my breath hitches but Jesse continues, his voice coming out breathy between each barely there kiss, "You deserve the world, Freya. You deserve someone who's there for you with every fiber in their being. Someone who would never, ever, hurt you. Someone who will show you, every single day, just how special you are. Because you are, Freya. You're so special." Jesse meets my eyes and I blink so fast to keep the tears at bay, "Let me be that person, Freya. Let me take care of you. Both of you. Let me show you what true love really is." My heart flutters and the tears flood. I hide my face in his chest and he holds me as I sob. His words, the sweetest I've ever heard. His sentiment, real as can be. But I can't help the voice in my head telling me to run. Run as fast and as far away as I can. Damn, I'm so fucked up.