3

For once in his life, Five didn't know what to say to Emilia

For once in his life, Five didn't know what to say to Emilia. Watching her hum as she poured coffee into two mugs and act as if she hadn't just been on the verge of a mental breakdown and burnt a town to the ground, it was off-putting to say the least.

He almost couldn't believe that the girl who burnt down a town was the same one currently walking towards him with a big grin on her face. But the smile not reaching her eyes and the way her eyes had lost their sparkle was enough to bring Five back to reality and know that his sister was not okay.

Emilia stopped her humming once she reached the kitchen table, carefully setting a mug in front of Five and ruffling his hair lovingly which made him crack a small smile before she took her seat across from him.

Both were watching each other a little hesitantly as they took a sip of their coffee, an unusual silence between the two making them both feel a little on edge. Finally, Emilia cleared her throat and set her mug down. "So," she began, forcing another smile onto her face, "you just got here?"

"Yeah," Five said, his eyes flickering over her face as he tried to find any signs of that broken girl he had been holding in his arms only a couple minutes before. But there were none. She had put up a wall, a pretty strong wall, but Five knew it was only a matter of time before she finally cracked. "And you've been here for four years?"

Emilia let out a forced chuckled and glanced down at her coffee absentmindedly. "Yeah. I landed here back in November of 1959. Almost died because of my side and the new gun shot wound in my arm, but I was able to find some help and pulled through," she explained. "Been here ever since."

Five took note of the way Emilia glanced around the house as she uttered the word 'here' and for a moment he thought of the picture he had seen upon the fireplace mantel. "Is it. . .just you here?" he questioned.

And there it was. A flicker of the broken girl he knew was hiding within. She looked pained, as if the mere mention of being alone had brought back too many memories for her to handle. But then it was gone, the wall already back up.

"Yeah, it's just me," she admitted. "But. . .but now you're here, so I'm not really alone anymore, am I?" Her eyes locked with his and Five could practically see the desperation in her gaze, the hope that he would confirm that she wasn't alone anymore, that she would never be alone anymore.

"No, you're not," Five whispered, reaching out to place a hand upon Emilia's shaking one. "We're in this together now."

Five had never seen a person look so relieved before and Emilia actually managed to give him a genuine smile as she squeezed his hand back. "Good," she said. "I. . .I don't know how much longer I would've lasted on my own."