8

Emilia was silent as she sat by Diego's side, the only sign of emotion being the tears staining her face

Emilia was silent as she sat by Diego's side, the only sign of emotion being the tears staining her face. Other than that, she was completely emotionless. Her hand was holding on tightly to Diego's limp one, her eyes resting on his figure while Lila shifted her gaze from the girl to Diego's wounds.

Lila opened her mouth to speak, but Emilia beat her to it, her voice monotone as she said, "I don't want to talk. Just work on fixing him." She allowed her eyes to flicker towards Lila for a brief moment. "Please." Lila stared at her for a second before closing her mouth and nodding her head. Emilia let out a soft sigh and looked back to Diego, her thumb rubbing over the top of his hand while she worked on keeping her breathing at a normal rate.

Lila pressed burning metal against Diego's wound, the sizzling of skin filling the room before Diego's eyes suddenly shot open and he yelled out in distress. Emilia's whole demeanor changed in an instant, her hands clasping around Diego's as she attempted to keep him down.

"Diego, honey, shhh," Emilia pleaded as she held his hands up to her lips and pressed a soft kiss there. He looked her way instantly. His eyes holding a lot of pain in them while his face looked almost a little relieved to see her there. He squeezed her hand tight and Emilia felt a few more tears rolling down her face as she gave him a shaky smile.

"Yes, please shut up," Lila muttered. Diego went to look her way. "Don't move! This thing is very finicky." Diego stilled almost instantly before sighing and muttering, "What happened?"

Emilia flinched and looked away, images of Diego passed out in a pool of his own blood flashing through her head. Lila momentarily glanced at the girl before going back to the wound. "I saved your stupid life," Lila finally said.

"Were you following me?" Diego questioned and Emilia glanced to the girl at that. She hadn't even thought to wonder why Lila had been there. She had been too focused on Diego, too traumatized by the past and the present to think rationally.

"Uh, hey, how about a little gratitude, knife boy," Lila said. "If it wasn't for me, you'd be dead. That's twice now, by the way." Emilia paled a little at that, her hand tightening around Diego's. "She's right," Emilia whispered, her voice shaky. "I couldn't do shit." Diego gave her a look, but Emilia wouldn't meet his eyes. Another tear rolled down her face, but Diego was quick to wipe it away with his thumb while the girl looked to him.

The clanking of metal seemed to snap Diego out of his trance and he pulled his gaze away from Emilia before looking to Lila and suddenly realizing he was naked except for a sheet lazily thrown over him. "Where are my clothes? The hell happened to my clothes?" Diego asked in a panic as he attempted to sit up.

"I said, don't move!" Lila exclaimed, pressing the hot metal to Diego's wound and making him cry out again. Emilia winced and quickly grabbed ahold of the boy, holding his head close to her chest in a small hug as she waited for him to pass out. When he finally went limp in her arms, Emilia gently set him down, brushing the hair out of his face before throwing a glare in Lila's direction.