The New Rivals

Original artist of the art used above: https://seiga.nicovideo.jp/user/illust/1536791

As of the making of this chapter, the pole of the previous chapter ended up in a tie between the numbers 420 and 666. So what I did was to toss a coin to decide which one to pick and 420 won.

Sorry for the three people who voted for 666.

Anyway, here is the chapter.

.

.

.

Complete silence. Everyone is perplexed by what just unfolded in front of their eyes. The bell keeps ringing for a few more seconds until it finally stops.

"What just happened?"

"Did that Eevee did not listen to what that kid said?"

"Poor Charizard"

Leon's fans began to mutter to each other about what just happened.

You are also confused but after a few seconds, you realise something horrible.

I lost...

It was the most probable outcome, and what everyone was expecting even you to some degree... but it looked like, at least for a moment, that you could've made it.

"Eevee, Caterpie come back..." You call your Pokemon back and step towards Leon who still has not said a word.

"I'm sorry for wasting your time..." You say while keeping your head down in shame.

It was such an embarrassing situation that you could not look at him to the face.

"Excuse me? What do you mean? I am the only one who owes you an apology, (Y/n)"

"What?" You quickly look up at him in shock.

"Well, you see, every time I battle I always make sure that I give my all. No matter what. But I made an exception this time since I thought that it would be unfair for a beginner like you." He said while placing his hand on your shoulder.

"But I must admit, I underestimated you. I was not expecting you to land a single hit on any of my Pokemon at all and still...The fact that I did not go all out from the beginning is disrespectful not only towards you but also your Pokemon."

You are shaken by his words. The champion himself recognise you as a good trainer...still.

"Thanks but I still lost to you... I had no chance of beating you either way. It was stupid of me to think that someone like me could even think that anyway."

I'm still just a good for nothing.

Leon sees that sad look on your face and then smirks to himself.

"Wrong, this battle is not over yet."

Once again you are taken by surprise along with everyone around.

"I want to try beating you now with all I got but unfortunately I have other things to do... So." He reaches for something under his clothes and after a while takes out a letter.

"Thankfully I had an extra one of this."

"I-is that!? A..." you stutter.

"That's right, an endorsement letter."