04 | Battle Of Broomsticks [And Of Fire]

04| BATTLE OF BROOMSTICKS [AND OF FIRE]

Squeak.

"Hmm?" Gemini answered.

Twig reached over and pulled the cigarette from her lips, squeaking again. Gemini opened her eyes with a sigh. 

After returning from her encounter with the Weasleys, she had primarily changed into a dark green coat dress, which had beautiful golden embroidery on the skirt and bodice, along with distinct golden brooches pinned to each collar. 

This was one of her favourite dresses which she brought along despite her resolution to wear Muggle clothing. It was comparatively far more comfortable than those Muggle shorts and shirt she had been wearing earlier. The dress and the black stockings she had put on were also warmer for the night and complemented her pale skin.

After getting ready for the event, Gemini had acted upon the necessity of lighting a cigarette, and Twig had fetched one for her without asking. It had been to cool her mind and push Ron Weasley's words out of her head.

He had been impudent since the moment she had first seen him at school; always throwing scowls and glares her way, while his friends would try to distract him. Ronald Weasley's hate for her was a widely popular topic amongst the Hogwarts students. She herself was significantly discussed, and Ron only drew more attention to her.

Contrary to this state of affairs, his brothers Fred and George had been trying to get her to be on friendly terms with them since her first year. She didn't really understand why; she had originally thought it was because they wanted her to help them make their joke products. But this suspicion slowly faded away as the years passed and they kept sending her eccentric gifts instead of asking for aid.

This thought further flashed through her head while walking back to her tent. Despite rejecting the twins several times, they still gave her smiles of unfeigned delight each time they passed her.

But Gemini had been too spent already to strain her mind anymore. She put the thought to rest and dived into the blissful feeling of oblivion, the smoke still escaping in swirls from the tip of the cigarette and diffusing with the air in the tent. 

She had sent Twig and Galleon outside to protect them from the health hazards the smoke could cause them. Galleon had taken her pocket watch with him and had promised to return a few minutes before the match was to start.

And so, her reverie had been broken by Twig's spindly fingers and gentle squeaks.

"Do we have to go?" she asked, taking the cigarette from Twig (who had started choking) and crushing it against the arm of the chair she was sitting on. At her implausible query, Twig gave her a look. "Right, we paid for it." she reminded herself, straightening up. 

Twig still seemed uncomfortable with the wisps of smoke floating around, unlike Galleon, who had chosen not to enter the tent altogether. With a simple wave of her wand, Gemini cleared the harmful fumes.