Biana

Why not?

(BTW, the song I made up, lyrics are in italics.)

Kendra's funeral was the thing Biana was seriously dreading. She'd been plenty of Wanderling plantings, including a councilor's planting. Heck, she even went to her own dad's planting. But this was different. No one else had known Kendra except her and her friends, the councillors weren't even notified of a child's death. 

It was horrible enough without seeing Linh standing at the place were they had chose in the Wanderling forest. She looked lost, and didn't know what to do. Several times, she crouched down and started crying. Biana and the rest of her friends huddled around Linh, comforting her, even though they knew no comforting was possible. 

They were all wearing green, even Linh, though the shade of green she was wearing was so deep that it looked almost black. 

Surprisingly, Elizabeth, Maybelle, the triplets (The Vacker ones, not the Dizznee ones) were not present. Biana understood Hope, but the others? 

her thoughts were interrupted by Linh's fresh wail of sobs. Sophie had held the Wanderling seed, with a coil of Kendra's ebony hair coiled around it, and dropped it towards the earth. 

The seed seemed to fall in slow motion. It tumbled in the wind, rolling back and forth. The coil of hair was brushed back in the wind. The seed hit the earth. 

Biana couldn't bear to look, but as she closed her eyes, she still heard the shatter of glass. 

A whispers of music came through the branches of surrounding Wanderlings. Biana recognized it as Charity's piano. Biana didn't recognize the song, but then, another voice joined in, and soon, there seemed to be choir of  people sing in the wood. 

You once told me, if you were gone, I could come and find you by the river. 

But now that you are gone, I can't find you. 

Where are you now? Are you in somewhere better?

The river still flows, but it feels cold without your laughter, 

Biana could hear chokes in lyrics, as she shifted and saw Elizabeth, Maybelle, Faith, and Hope standing around Charity, who was playing the piano as tears splashed onto it. They were all crying. 

Are you gone, or are you part of the river? 

For when I look in the it, I see your face. 

No matter where, please remember us, 

And the river you said you would sit by, 

When you were gone. 

Piano filled the still air. Maybelle was staring determinedly at the ground, Elizabeth was wiping her eyes continuously, even as the tears flowed profusely. Hope and Faith were biting their lip, trying not to cry as Faith started singing the background music again. 

It struck Biana as how talented they all were at singing. Maybelle seemed like she could imitate every sound, Elizabeth was good in the low part, and Hope was wonderful at the middle part. Faith, who sung the background music had to sing the high part sometimes. 

The river's still waiting, so where are you?

For you promised, you would wait by the river.

Remember, all the daisy chains we wove. 

Remember, all the jokes we made. 

Remember, the thrush who sings, 

In the bush, beside the river, 

which you said you would wait by, when you were gone. 

They finished, Elizabeth was now crying freely, Maybelle looked like she was trying not to cry, but failing horribly. Hope and Faith were siting next to Charity on the piano bench, trying to comfort her, even though they themselves were crying. 

The silence was broken by Linh's small sobs, as she stroked the bark of the Wanderling over and over again. 

Kendra's Wanderling had jet black bark, like her hair, and looked like the movement of water in wind, and lush, green leaves, with sky blue flowers dotted in between. The tip of the branches were silver, like the tips of her hair, which made the image even more painful. 

"Fia wrote this song, Kendra would sing the high part. We thought it would be what she wanted." Hope, explained in a small voice between her sobs. 

Linh let out a wail of despair. The tree only rustled its leaves in the wind. 

Sorry if I broke your heart. I cried while writing the lyrics. Still, sry not sry for the chapter! *Forced smile*