21 - Fate

Rosehill.

The pair was back at the most peaceful side of the city. Taeyong brought Seulgi here, knowing it was the best place to talk and clear her mind.

Taeyong didn't think he would be able to fulfill his promise of taking her back to Rosehill to gaze at the sunset this fast. Unfortunately, having an awkward tension between them wasn't part of his plans.

Seulgi watched the sunset in the horizon. Hues of crimson, tangerine, and gold stretched across the vast sky, blended into perfection. Silhouettes of birds flew home across the sky that was now magenta. The glowing fireball was half into the water, but its reflection in the sea made it look complete.

The scenery before her was beyond majestic. Too bad, Seulgi was too drowned in her thoughts to even properly admire the view.

"Seulgi," Taeyong managed to utter, tone soft if Seulgi wasn't listening carefully she wouldn't have heard him.

They have been sitting against the edge of the cliff for almost half an hour now. Taeyong patiently waited for her to open up the topic first. He didn't want to rush her.

Taeyong locked eyes with Seulgi, she looked so lost. "How do you know my father and brother?" She repeated her question from earlier.

Taeyong cleared his throat. "Your father, what's his job?"

Seulgi quirked a brow. She thought he was gonna explain not ask questions. Nevertheless, she answered anyways. "He used to be a real estate agent just like my brother"

Taeyong's lips pressed into a fine line. "Your father has a different job, so as your brother"

"Then what?"

"Being born into the family of first class vampires, we were constantly targeted by the low class who were thirsty for power. For years, low class vampires badly wanted to get their hands on our blood. By drinking just a single drop of a first class' blood could make anyone invincible." Taeyong trailed off as Seulgi listened attentively. "First class vampires were exceptionally powerful than the other vampires. Even so, we needed to be trained to be able to get full control of our powers and use it to the highest level"

"Even if a first class is still inside its mother's womb, a protector is already assigned to protect them for the rest of their lives. It just so happens, your father was the protector given to me"

A protector.

Seulgi was rendered speechless. His father was a protector? A protector who dedicated his life to keep Taeyong safe?

"As the youngest of the Lee Clan, the Vampire Council assigned your father— the best and most outstanding protector, to protect me. I was given ten protectors, with your father leading the team" Taeyong paused for a moment, taking a deep breath. He wasn't ready to see Seulgi's reaction when he says his next words.

"I was twelve years old when there was a surprise attack from the low class. They ambushed our home, it was all chaos. I could still remember how countless protectors sacrificed their lives in order to protect me and my family" His gaze fell onto Seulgi's fiddling hands. He wanted to hold them to comfort her, but he wasn't so sure if she would let him.

"One of the protectors was your father"

A traitor tear cascaded down Seulgi's cheeks. All this time, she thought her father simply died because of a car accident when in reality he died because he had to put a vampire's life first before his.