Chapter 4

"What the hell you mean you can't find them? I do not care what methods you use! I have spent years investing in that stone, and I intend to get it back no matter what. So you better get your ass off of that chair and start searching for that bastard who stole my STONE!"

Meanwhile, on the other side of the country, a few hours ahead, Dereck Sparks was seething in his office. The whole department was running amock, answering phone calls from stockholders, banks and clients. Documents and folders were scattered across Dereck's desk, information on the whereabouts of his thief. So far, nothing. Dereck slammed the phone on his desk and collapsed in his chair. He pinched the bridge of his nose with his forefinger and thumb and exhaled. He couldn't believe what was happening to him, especially when his business was reaching its peak in the economy once again.

Years ago, Dereck's father, Joshua Sparks was an passionate archeologist. His father went on an expedition in South Asia with permission to search for historical artifacts such as fossils, jars, arts and whatever his father could have stuffed up. One day, one of his colleagues found a fossil that was deep in a temple in a thick forest. Shocked by the design and size, his father found the fossil to be a fascinating piece and took it back with him to the Americas, where scientists studied the historical piece. There, he put it on display right in New York of the Smithsonian Museum, where millions of tourists can view it everyday. However, Dereck was old enough to refuse to have the fossil to be on display long enough, so he took it back to his property, wanting his scientists to study it further. Dereckhad a gut feeling that the stone was worth more than what it seemed. Turns out, that it had a new special element inside the stone, not the phosphorus, magnesium, sulfide, uranium, and all the other chemical elements but something more, something that can change the economy for the better.

Dereck sighed and rubbed his temples. This nonsense if giving me a headache. Pathetic. There was a buzz from his intercom and he answered it.

"What is it?"

"Si-sir, Mr. Higgins is here to see you."

He grumbled, "About time. Send him in."

The door opened and a tall lean man in a suit walked in carrying a briefcase in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other. Nathan Higgins, Dereck's most trusted advisor and best friend. Dereck gestured at the seat in front of him and Nathan obliged. Setting the coffee down and adjusting his glasses, he opened his briefcase and took out a folder, laying it in front of Dereck. He looked at it for a moment and back to his friend.

"Is this it? It's so thin."

Nathan shrugged and took a sip of his coffee. Dereck opened the folder and went through the documents. Each of them had a date of when the stone was being studied and which scientist was on it. The last date was a few days ago, the same day the real one went missing. It didn't make any sense, Dereck thought. He sighed and put it back in the folder, "This is all what you found?"

Nathan nodded, "Yes, one of my co-workers searched through the file of the last date it was in your lab. We checked the security cams and ID's and there was no trace of anyone suspicious coming into the lab when it was stolen. It was like it never happened. All we found was the "stone" still in its case, which turned out to be fake the day after it was taken. All workers were questioned twice."

"Did you try the lie detector?"

Nathan nodded, "Yes. All the workers appeared to be truthful about their work. Except..."

Dereck leaned in his chair, "Except?"

Nathan finished the last of his coffee and dropped it in the trash next to his desk. "Except that all of them have been lying of slacking off in their work, gambling and even stealing some data from the computer."

Dereck groaned and fell back into into his chair once more. Is there any information on the stones whereabouts? If it wasn't found any sooner, his business will go bankrupt.

Nathan glanced at his friend then back at the files in the folder, looking through them. "Hey, don't worry Derek. The people who lied to the lie detector were sent to jail."

Dereck sighed and looked at his friend. "It's not THAT what I am worried about. We can always put those kind of people into custody who have stolen the data. What I'm worried about is who stole it from ME, and how in the world I am going to get my business going, adding to the reputation I am holding in this world. I certainly don't want to get the police involved, that's for sure. It would cause a laughing stock for me and my businesses."

Nathan chuckled, "Yeah, you already bought third of the shares of the museum, not to mention a fourth share on the I.T. Institute of Technology and another third-"

"I got it Nathan! No need to rub it in my face."

Nathan thought for a moment, then he went into his briefcase and pulled out a business card. "Here. Maybe this will help."

Dereck took it and looked at the card. There was a bold Italic silver writing with a company name and a telephone number on the front. He turned it around but there was a blank space. He raised an eyebrow at his friend.

"And you think this will help me, how?"

Nathan smirked and stood, "Trust me, I got this card from an accomplice of mine who works in that company. Give them a call. I'm positive they will help you on your case and plus, I heard they are highly trained government officials and they will not back out on a case, nor do they take things for granted."

Dereck sighed, "I don't know. Sounds like a con to me, probably want my money like all government officials do. Do you trust them?"

Nathan grinned, the sun bouncing off from his glasses, "Nope!"

Dereck frowned, "Thanks for the quick info but I am not calling them. I can do this myself without some kind of agency company that will solve this problem of mine."

He threw the card in the bin next to him.
Nathan shrugged and picked up his suitcase, heading towards the door. Its your call man. Call me if you need anything else."

With that being said, Nathan strolled out of Dereck's office. The door closed and Dereck stood from his chair, looking out his window, thinking. What can he possibly do now? Police is definitely out of the option. He could always go to the FBI, but they don't report back for months from what he heard. A detective is also old-fashioned and out of use. Below him, the highway was packed with vehicles. He glanced at the clock on the wall. Must be rush hour since it's already the afternoon. Dereck sighed to himself once more before packing his suitcase away for the day. He was at a dead-end again. Whenever he has a problem, he just couldn't find the perfect solution. Sure there were options, but they wouldn't get him the fast way. He was taught to shove anything out of his way, choosing the best option to rise up to the top, like his mother told him.

He stopped in the middle of packing and glanced at the trash bin. Should I call these people? Knowing of compromising with a company, you can't always trust them, usually some would have a loop-hole of some sort to try and get your money. He remembered his advisors words: They are highly trained government officials and they will not back out on a case, nor do they take things for granted.

He hesitantly reached into the bin and pulled out the card. Looking at it for a few moments and remembering the words his advisor said. Dereck picked up the phone and dialed the number on the card. He tapped his foot, waiting as it rang.

It was picked up after the second ring. A male voice on the other end answered, "What's your case client?"

"I heard that your agency company has highly trained governmental officials. No matter what case it is, you will accept it and not take things for granted. No matter what, you guys will accept the policy's and deals you make with your contractor. So tell me...how excessive are you catching a thief?"