Thirty

I was surrounded with all the people I love - well almost everyone. Let's not dive too deep into that just yet. Everyone had smiles on their faces and were enjoying themselves yet I was sat in the corner and in the pit of my stomach I felt a ball. A ball of regrets and deep longing. I'm thirty. I play it over in my head. Thirty, thirty, thirty. No longer in my twenties. I'm not saying I've wasted my life as to be honest it's been amazing but I'm now thirty, single and living with a twenty six year old, as a last resort, in a apartment in South London.
"What's up love?" I look up into the familiar light blue eyes. His donny accent really dragging out the last word almost seeming like he says it as luv. He's half smiling and half full of concern.
I try to smile.
"Nothing Lou. Just weird as I'm not in my twenties anymore. Like you guys." I sigh. I look down at the super chocolate cake in front of me. Slices taken out here and there so people get a bit of their favourite kinder chocolate. The 3 and 0 looking a bit lopsided exactly like how I felt.
Louis wrapped his arm around me. The grey Adidas hoodie he was wearing felt soft against my skin and I nuzzled into his chest. It's my birthday. I'm not going to cry.
"Hey. Hey! Come on luv. You're only as old as you look and trust me darling you don't look old." He started to chuckle. I lifted my head up because now I wasn't on the verge of tears. If Louis laughs you can no longer be sad.
I smiled at him.
"Thanks small bean." I said trying to keep a straight face. He laughed once more.
"I will let you off cause it's your birthday but less of that!" I chucked "I'm gonna get another beer. Want one?" I shook my head. He got up and headed off towards the kitchen. The stomach ball returned. I looked around our full living room. Friends. Friends of friends. Some I knew, some I didn't really. I spotted my room mate. He was stood in the corner looking super relaxed and chatting effortlessly to a girl I sort of recognised. He was in his classic combo of fitted chino trousers and a button up striped shirt this of course had several buttons open at the top just enough to reveal the dark chest hair underneath. I still couldn't get used to his dark hair. I've known him for some many years to be blonde, dyed obviously and now back to a natural brunette he seems so much older. Not as old as me. I jolt suddenly with that thought cutting through my brain. I hear him laugh and look back at him. He's definitely flirting. Go on then Niall, use your Irish accent to the fullest. I roll my eyes. He won't be waking up alone tomorrow.

By now you probably had a thought Louis - Doncaster accent, blue eyes and an infectious laugh? Niall - used to be blonde, classic combo and Irish? Yes you've guessed it. Louis and Niall from the biggest boy band in the world... One Direction.
You're now probably thinking what the hell! How did I get so lucky to even meet them?! Well that happened when I had just turned 20. I was a runner on a show called X Factor. Which by the way was not an easy job. When they say runner they mean runner! I did everything anyone wanted. Coffee run? Sure. Grab some mascara? Sure. Unblock the boys toilets? (Regrettably) sure! I got to meet the boys when they had just made their debut and being close to their age, well Louis age, we kind of hit it off. It wasn't long before I got a call from management, yes management and yes they are assholes - they treated me and the boys like absolute shit, asking me to go along with them on their tours as their stage hand and general babysitter. We've kind of stuck together ever since and have become very firm friends. Well we were all of us... once. If you had said to me then or even two years ago that I would be celebrating my thirtieth birthday in an apartment I share with Niall and absolutely single I would have laughed at you and told you that you were wrong. Cause my future was in sunny LA and not in South London.