44

I finished changing faster than usual and leaned against the locker beside Cindy's, waiting on her. She was confused when she saw me, narrowing her eyes as her face got closer to mine. "Are you wearing any make-up?" she asked.

I nodded my head. "I have some foundation on to cover my dark circles and you know, Chapstick, if that counts." Her eyes traveled down to my shoes and then met back to my eyes. She gave me a weird look before putting her shirt on. "What?" I asked.

"Why are you dressing differently?" She asked.

"I'm not dressing differently."

"Yeah, you are. You always wear these complex eye shadow looks and really nice lipsticks or gloss. Now, you're wearing Chapstick? Really? And you almost never wear jeans."

"I own lots of jeans."

"Do you really?"

"I'm wearing a pair now."

She looked down at my jeans. "Where are your heels?"

"I didn't feel like wearing them today." She gave me another look. "What? Do I always have to look exactly the same every day?"

She lifted her hands. "You're right. I'm sorry. I'm just used to your style, is all." She grabbed her bag out of her locker.

I looked down at my tennis shoes. They were a couple of years old, but they looked brand new. I bought them for a camping trip in middle school and then never used them again. I rested my head back against the locker just in time to see Adelaide marching towards me.

Every time she did this, I felt like I was in a sitcom. It was like a joke at this point. 'Oh, what will Adelaide say this time?'

"Quit," is what she said.

I lifted my head. "I'm sorry what?"

The audience laughter track was playing in the background.

"I said quit."

"The team or the position?" I asked.

"Both. Either. I don't care."

"I'm not going to do that."

The fake audience ooo'd in the background.

Adelaide crossed her arms. "It's not fair, and you know it."

I crossed my arms too, trying to mock her. "What are you implying?"

"Are you going to make me say it?"

"Please do."

"Stop," someone said. I looked over to Cindy, but she placed her hands up, telling me it wasn't her. I looked to the left to see our team captain. A girl name Alissa that didn't talk much or like ever.

"Butt out of this," Adelaide told her.

Alissa looked at her and then at me, before nodding her head. "Okay. Cindy, Coach wants to see you in his office."

"Me? Why me?" Cindy asked.

Alissa shrugged her shoulders. "Do I look like a psychic?" She then left.

Adelaide turned back to me. "Look, for whatever reason, Coach is favoring you. There's no way in hell that he would make someone like you goalie when he has someone like me. What did you do for him, huh? Did you give him money or something else?"

Coach? Favoring me? Adelaide thought so too? I placed my hand on her shoulder. "Are we on the same mind-link? Quick, what number am I thinking about?"

She pushed my hand off. "What the hell are you on about?"