4. The hunt for Octavia Blake

"Change of plan." Clarke instructed and grabbed Murphy by the arm.

"What are you talking about?" Murphy asked as she pulled him swiftly down the corridor.

Clarke was tense. Something was definitely wrong at HQ. If Kane was asking them to kill someone in cold blood then that meant this girl knew something and that wasn't good. Clarke and Murphy couldn't get caught. After all they've been through they didn't deserve that.

"We need to assassinate Octavia Blake. I think she must know something." Clarke muttered to Murphy as they turned another corner. They needed to get back to their hotel room. 

"Assassinate? What the bloody hell? Who the hell is-" Murphy began.

"You think I know?" Clarke quipped back. She was pissed. This had not been the plan. The original had been simple- observe and report. She knew that assassinating this chick wouldn't help their case. Especially since Monty and Bellamy seemed to be slowly catching on. It was getting on her nerves. Murphy stayed silent as she dragged him all the way to their hotel room and pushed him on the bed effortlessly.

"Okay explain. Now!" Murphy growled and Clarke couldn't blame him. Neither of them liked random changes of plan.

"Kane wants us to assassinate some girl. Octavia Blake is her name," Clarke explained as she rustled in her bag to find her laptop, "Kane should be sending us a photo of her and her details."

Murphy simply grunted in response and Clarke sighed. 

"I-I'm sorry." She muttered as she booted up the laptop.

"Why?" Murphy asked, genuinely confused.

"I know you don't like change. I don't either- I- I'm sorry that we are in this mess."

"Hey!" Murphy said sharply, standing up immediately to sit at her side. He flicked her nose softly with his fingertips so that she would look at him. He smiled weakly at Clarke and words were exchanged through their fond gaze. It had always been hard to describe Murphy and Clarke's friendship. They may not be related by blood but in a way they were related by soul and that's what. In some cases their friendship was straight up toxic, unhealthy even. Whenever Murphy was in danger, Clarke's heart would drop. She'd be afraid and Clarke was rarely ever afraid. And in those moments only will she not care who she has to kill, who she has to murder, who she has to watch bleed as long as her brother is safe. Murphy was the same way with Clarke. Sure, they'd have their outraging arguments but those drifted away like the leaves in autumn.

"It's not you're fault Griffin." Murphy whispered and Clarke smiled fondly at him before entering her password for her laptop.

A photo of what looked like a young girl popped up immediately and the siblings lay there in silence at the picture of the innocent faced girl.

"What the fu-"

"She looks like seventeen."

The emotions that went through Clarke in that moment were almost nostalgic. She could see herself in Octavia. Being young. Hunted. Afraid. The lyrics of an old song that she had been able to relate to ran through her head and she tried not to panic as the lyrics came back to her.

I'm too sad to cry, too high to get up
Don't even try 'cause I'm scared to fuck up
Don't like to talk, I just lay in my bed
Don't even try to go out with my friends
Lied to my doctor, she knew I was faking
Gave me some pills, but I'm too scared to take 'em
I try and I try, but I'm too sad to cry

Clarke shook out of her daze with on word on her mind. 

"No." She stated flatly.

"W-what do you mean 'no'. Kane said-"