CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Luke’s POV

Kiara had just disappeared to Charlotte’s room, I’m assuming and I’m currently sitting on the couch with Michael.

I’ll admit it’s pretty awkward and there is a lot of tension in the room. I mean, why wouldn’t there be when your best friend goes behind your back and marries the mother of your child. I know it sounds complicated but you know what I mean.

I exhaled a breath I didn’t know I was holding when I heard Kiara walked into the lounge room.

“Luke, Charlotte wants you in her room. down the hall, last door to you right” she explained and I nodded.

I got up off the couch and walked into Charlotte’s room.

Before I could say anything, Charlotte engulfed me in the biggest hug I have ever received.

“I’ve missed you sooo much daddy!” she whispered.

“I know baby girl, I’ve missed you too” I whispered back, tightening our hug.

When we pulled apart I looked intently into her eyes. The colour of her eyes used to be blue like mine but now they’re hazel. She looks so beautiful, just like her mother.

I scooped her up in my arms and took her into the lounge room were Michael and Kiara were cuddled up on the love seat together. I stinging sensation erupted in my heart and I fought the urge to let tears fall. That should be me she’s with, not Mikey.

I sat on the beanbag with Charlotte in my lap as we watched the Wiggles and laughed at their terrible acting skills.

*             *             *

I rose up from my spot on the beanbag and stretched my arms.

“I think I should probably get going it’s getting late” I spoke as I gathered my shoes, jacket and phone.

“No! Daddy stay with me” Charlotte begged.

“I can’t baby girl, it’s getting late and you need to go to bed soon” I said.

“Can you put me to bed?” she whispered before yawning. I nodded my head and took her to her bedroom.

I change Charlotte into her pyjamas and turn on her little night-light. I gently placed her in her cot and went and sat in the rocking chair. I sang Charlotte a few lullaby’s and then waited for her to fall asleep before leaving her room, closing the door behind me.

I walked back into the lounge room and stopped dead in my tracks when I saw what was happening in front of me.

Michael was hovering over Kiara on the couch and they were deep into a make out session.

As I got my shoes and jacket, I made sure not to let a tear shed until I was out of that house. Once I made it to the footpath, that’s when all the tears and emotions poured out of me. I couldn’t care less if I woke up the neighbours. I just had to let it out.

I sat on the side of the road and screamed. I screamed and screamed and screamed. That should be me with Kiara and Charlotte. I’m the one that’s meant to be the missing piece of their happy little family. But instead, she chose Mikey! She chose my best friend!

I got up from where I was sitting and started walking forward onto the road. My vision was blurry because of the tears that I hadn’t bothered to wipe away.

I was blinded by a bright light to my left and then I heard skid marks being made before I went tumbling over the bonnet of a car and then the car drove over my legs before it came to a complete halt. Everything was black.