Chapter 11

"What are we going to do?" Nicky asked as they walked out of the headmaster's office into the hall.

"Well I have to get to my train club meeting before I miss it," Shawn said, as he walked past the group toward his club.

"Yeah, I have to get to soccer practice before I'm late," Alex said while walking the other direction.

"I'm gonna try to find my devil of a sister," Nicky said, walking the same direction as Shawn.

Autumn felt awkward with Ambrosia, even though they're roommates, Autumn was still afraid of Ambrosia.

"I'm going to study," Autumn said, turning on her heel down the hall.

Autumn walked through the hall of the school, trailing her fingers on the walls. When, suddenly, she felt a strange engraving in the wall. She stopped and when she took a closer look there was a small keyhole with little symbols around it.

The symbols looked strangely like a language of some kind. Intrigued, Autumn took a picture of the carving on the wall and walked to the school library hoping that she could find the language there.

She walked into the library and turned down an aisle labeled "Ancient Magical Manuscripts". Autumn was running her finger over the bindings of the books at her eye level having no luck finding the language.

Autumn pulled a spellbook out of her bag. She had found it earlier that day nestled with her belongings. She sat on the floor with the book in her hands searching for something that would help her decode the strange language.

"Summoning charm causes an object to fly into the caster's arms," Autumn mumbled, tracing her finger under the words as she read them, "Ok seems easy enough."

Autumn followed the drawings of hand movements in the book as she spoke the spell.

"Liber vocatio," she chanted.

The bookshelves around her started to shake as a book slid out of the shelf and flew toward Autumn and landed neatly in her lap. Autumn was shocked that the spell had worked and picked up the book to find similar inscriptions as the ones she found in the wall.

Autumn glanced at the book translation of the language and went to pull out her phone.

She pulled out her phone and looked at the picture of the engraving.

"The key to this lock is carried by the one that will bring us out of the darkness" she read.

"What?" Autumn mumbled. For some reason, she felt like she had to find the key. She felt her necklace getting warm from her body heat.

Autumn was so deep in thought that she didn't hear Alex come up behind her.

"Boo," he whispered.

Autumn jumped as she turned around to be met by Alex. Their faces were now only two inches apart. They started to lean in when Dawn made her way around the corner.

"Hey losers," Dawn said as Alex and Autumn jumped apart and both tried to hide their blushing faces, "have you seen my sister? I have to talk to her about the eclipse on our birthday."

"Your birthday's coming up soon?" Alex asked.

"Yup. In a week," Dawn said, "Now I have to go find my sister."

Dawn walked out of the aisle and Alex and Autumn turned to look at each other. The air was thick with the awkwardness between the two.

"Ummm," Autumn said awkwardly, "I thought you had soccer practice?"