𝑇𝑤𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑦 𝑆𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛

Daryl sat comfortably in his chair by the small campfire, vigorously eating the scrambled eggs that Carol had made for everyone. Despite the lingering pain in his ribcage, he was able to fall asleep without any trouble the night before. As he ate, he remembered dreaming about her. About Charlotte.

Daryl couldn't recall the specifics of the dream, only that the girl had managed to drift into his unconscious mind. He found himself occasionally looking over to where she sat, watching her write furiously in a green notebook as if she were running out of time. She suddenly paused and twirled the pencil in her fingers for a moment before looking up and meeting Daryl's gaze. He quickly looked down at his eggs and continued eating his breakfast as if nothing had happened. That was when Glenn stood up before everyone and called for their attention.

"Uhm, guys. So, the barn is full of walkers."

✯✯✯

"You cannot tell me you're alright with this!" Shane bellowed as he paced back and forth in front of Rick, kicking up dirt with every step he took.

"I'm not," Rick answered firmly.

We all stood in front of the barn, listening to the growls and moans of the undead trapped inside. The air around us was laced with fear and worry as Rick and Shane went at it, arguing about what to do.

"We either gotta go in there, make things right, or we just gotta go. We've been talking about Fort Benning for a long time," Shane stressed.

I picked at the skin on my lower lip with my fingernails. I glanced at Daryl, who stood to my left, and saw him squeeze his hands into tight fists. I suspected he was starting to get riled up as well.

"We can't leave," Rick held his hands up in front of Shane's frantic figure.

"Why Rick? Why can't we go?" Shane's eyes had reverted into a crazed and agitated state. The sight struck an anxious chord inside me that spread throughout every spot in my body. I knew that as a member of the group, I was unofficially obligated to show up to whatever gatherings were organized, yet I felt a strong desire to flee the scene.

"Because, my daughter's still out there," Carol spoke up sternly and stepped out from somewhere behind me to face the two men. Shane scoffed and rubbed his face with his hands.

"Okay, I think it's time that we all just start to consider the other possibility."

"I just found her damn doll two days ago!" Daryl suddenly exploded and started to get closer to Shane. I felt my body tense as I realized how much of a bad combination the two of them were.

"You found a doll Daryl, that's what you did. You found a doll," Shane's voice suddenly resonated a mocking tone.

"Man, you don't know what the hell yer talkin' 'bout!" Daryl snapped and started forward. Without thinking, I shot a hand out and placed it on his upper arm. His muscles tensed underneath my touch and he stopped in his tracks right next to me. He turned his hard stare over to me and our eyes met for a brief second: It was as if I were looking at a different person, one clouded by anger and spite.

"I'm just saying what needs to be said," Shane shouted from his place. Rick's hand pushed against his chest to keep him at bay. "And, lemme tell you something else, man. Even if that little girl was alive out there, and saw you comin' all methed out with your buck knife and geek ears 'round your neck, she would run in the other direction!"