East Coast, Finale (1)

Taymor| TayK

It seem like ain't shit went right since that day. The next night, I got arrested and charged with possession with intent to distribute. I posted bail that same night. Everything was cool again since I just pleaded no contest to simple possession and just paid a fine. But, then I got arrested in connection to some murder that happened in some part of Atlanta I've never been in.

12 pulled up outside of Ebony's apartment to arrest me, and we were standing outside, arguing about who the fuck knows what. I'll never forget the look in Ebony's eyes, and Aden's. I had finally been able to be a father to my son, and help Ebony feel and stay better. Aden was only one year old at the time, but it was like he was still sad, like he knew he wouldn't see me tomorrow. Ebony looked disappointed in me, that shit hurt me, especially since I knew I was innocent.

Even though she was clearly pissed off at me, she called me everyday, sometimes twice a day. She let me see my son, I watched him grow behind a screen. I watched her get more and more distant. One of the last conversations we had was about me taking a plea.

"What did they offer?" Ebony asked. I could hear Aden "talking" in the background, I think to his grandma.

"Twenty years." I told her lowly, making her whimper, I could hear her about to cry. I heard her take a shaky breath, and sniffle, making my head drop a little.

"Well, okay, look let's be positive. I've been doing a lil research, and they say you can become eligible for parole like, a third of the way into your time—" She started to explain, and I closed my eyes, knowing she was about to be mad.

"E..." I tried to catch her attention, but she was too busy calculating how long a third of that sentence would be.

"That's like, six years—"

"Ebony." I called to her, but she ignored me.

"I mean, that's a long ass time, but—" She continued to ramble.

"Ebony!" I said sternly, but she immediately responded.

"No, Taymor! Don't sit here and try to tell me you're not taking that deal when you're facing life without parole! Don't tell me that!" She raised her voice.

"I'm not pleading guilty to some shit I didn't do!" I told her, and she scoffed. "If I got a chance to get no jail time, I'll take it." I explained to her. She was quiet for a second.

"You're facing life without parole, Tay. I read that that they can go for the death—." Ebony said, about to get all worked up until I cut her off.

"Stop googling shit, Ebony. Stop worrying about me. I'm straight, regardless." I could tell it was getting hard for her to stay quiet.

"I can't. I feel like I can't do this without knowing you'll be here one day. How am I supposed to raise a son without his father? Like, issa whole possibility he won't get to make memories with you in regular fuckin' clothes. He won't know how it feels to fall asleep with you. How it feels to laugh at your corny ass jokes...how it feels to know you. Like—really know you. That's not fair to Ayden. He's getting the short end of the stick. Why do I get to know you and he don't?" Even though her words had me sad, I gave her a chuckle.

"Damn, E, can I fight the case first?" I asked her, making her burst out into laughter.

"I'm sorry baby, I'm sorry." She said in between sniffles.

"YOU HAVE ONE MINUTE REMAINING." 

"I love you. Now let me get off this phone before I start crying again.