Chapter 2

A light breeze seemed to make its way from west to east, talking a language only those of proper age would understand. The distinct smell of smoke and burnt lingered with this wind. Y/N swore she could feel the history of its course by just feeling it hit her skin. Explosions, guns, sirens, war. And even the air knew of it.

Y/N walked softly through the garden, taking a step into calmness from the ruin that governed over their home. The convent and chapel became a place for many to come at any given time. Too many even. People came to pray, came to find food or temporary refuge, came to find forgiveness. They just came.

She could feel the skin of her hands begin to ache from the constant work. Either cleaning, moving, fixing, changing, everything. All for the convent girls to try and make it work. The huts were running at high speeds as food was made for same-day hand-outs to any and all that needed it.

Y/N looked up. Ashy grey hair. Young. The box boy, as she remembered him.

"Hello" Y/N said from where she stood.

The boy lifted his gaze as Y/N felt a sense of almost danger making the hairs on her neck rise. She didn't notice that or feel that when he first came. And, in all clear view, nothing had really changed in him. Maybe something in her just found danger at every corner. These were not times to be living life carelessly.

"Hi" He said, a little more cheery and relaxed than when he first came. "I just wanted to know if Abigail got my box"

The man took a few steps closer and Y/N swore her stomach turned ever so slightly.

"She did!" Y/N said, feeling as though her body was about to jump away. "I don't know what her reaction was though"

The young man nodded with a smile, his eyes taking in the place. Grey. Yes, all of it was grey in the first place, but the gardens were dull, the walls felt emptier, even if people were booming on the inside, it didn't feel right.

"Are you okay?" Y/N asked naturally. They usually were not. Not at this time.

The man turned, his lips parted, words barely making it out of his mouth, just as the earth shook.

Y/N crouched. People began to scream as the ground rattled again.

"Follow me" Y/N said, moving quickly towards the chapel's back doors. She slipped inside, the young man close behind.

His arm suddenly brushed against hers, sending her body on high alert. The commotion around her was smaller than usual. Most of the hysteria was probably inside the improvised refuge inside their living quarters, usually children reacted like that.

Y/N pressed her back against the frame. If the building fell, they were out immediately.

The loud crashes and sounds finally reached her ears. The feeling of danger increasing by the second, even if she was already a mess of nerves because of the underlying danger the young man carried with him.

Another shake took over the building, only for this one to be really strong. A few things fell to the ground with muffled thud from the main carpet in the middle. The cold stone walls seemed to dust off and the lights finally reached ground from the high ceiling.

A groan reached her ears once the movement stopped. She turned her head and she saw red. One of the things either on the ceiling or wall fell on his arm, causing a slash. She was not sure of how deep or how big, she just knew his simple grey hoodie was now tainted red on one arm.

Y/N counted to three, the earth staying still, signaling a few extra seconds of stillness.

"We're going to the living quarters, I'll be able to help you out" She said quickly, slipping through the door with him close behind, as his only answer was a groan and a nod.