Chapter 5

John paced in the hospital waiting room. He remembered watching Alexander fall.

Alexander had hit his head really hard on that table corner.

"John, mon ami, come sit down," John heard Lafayette say, but John continued to pace.

He should have noticed Alex was uncomfortable. It was evident in how he suddenly ate and drank and stood.

All so quickly.

Like he was trying to escape.

John finally sat down, but his foot tapped on the floor, much to his friends' annoyance.

After an hour, John, Lafayette, and Hercules were allowed to see Alexander, who sat quietly in his bed. Someone was already sitting at his side.

It was Mr. Washington, the debate and history professor at Columbia.

"Ah, Mr. Washington, hello," John greeted, and Mr. Washington looked up, nodded, then looked back to Alexander.

"Son talk to me," Mr. Washington said.

"I ain'tchya son," Alex spat back, not even looking at Mr. Washington. Mr. Washington frowned deeply at the disrespect thrown at him. Alexander's eyes widened and he quickly turned to Mr. Washington.

"I-I'm sorry, I meant no disrespect, sir. Please don't send me back," Alex quickly apologized, a frightened look on his face.

"I'm not sending you back, Alexander. Just...talk to me when you get back, okay?" Mr. Washington said, his voice riddled with disappointment. He stood, nodded once more at the three men standing in the doorway, then left.

Alexander looked at his lap as his friends sat down.

"I'm sorry for ruining your breakfast," Alex muttered, his hands fidgeting.

"No, Alex, it's alright. I'm sorry for forcing you to go to breakfast with us," John said, placing his hand on Alex's arm. "I should have noticed you were uncomfortable after the Schuyler Sisters showed up."

"Oui, do not blame yourself, Alexander. We were so caught up with- how you say- catching up that we completely ignored your feelings," Lafayette said.

"We should have noticed," Hercules stressed, making Lafayette and John nod.

John watched as a look of shock flashed across of Alex's face, like this was...new.

Alex looked at the three and smiled.

"Thank you," Alex said, wiping his eyes. "I-it's alright. No need to apologize. I'm just not used to making friends. I'm socially inept, I admit it. But I'll try to get better."

John helped Alex settle in their dorm room.

"If you want another, more comfortable introduction to the Schuyler Sisters, I can arrange for one sister at a time," John said, resting Alex's cane against the wall.

"That...would be nice," Alex closed his eyes and leaned back on his headboard.

"And we've got more friends!" John exclaimed. "But uh- it's alright if you want to take a break after the sisters. The sisters can be bit much," John laughed.

Alex chuckled, nodding.

"I think I'll try to handle the sisters, first."