Chapter 5

Dan's POV

The phone rung and rung for ages before finally going to voice mail. I sighed. He never had his phone on.

 "Hey, Jason. It's Dan. I was calling to see if maybe we could hang out tomorrow. I miss you. Please call me as soon as you get this. I love you. Bye."

~

"Jason, are you okay? I've not seen you in weeks and even though it's the summer holiday you would have told me if you were going on holiday, right? Well, bye." I pressed the end call button on my phone and slumped down onto my bed. Why was he never picking up? He must have loads of voice mails from me. He would call me back when he got them, wouldn't he?

~

 As I walked into school the next day I tried to avoid Jamie, Chris and PJ who were all leaning against the wall, laughing about something. Me, probably. I kept my head down as I walked through the corridors towards my form room.

 Once I reached it, I looked through the door to see if anyone was in there. It was empty. Everyone must still be outside, I thought. I shuffled over to my desk and sat down before putting my face in my hands and letting the tears spill out of my eyes.

Phil's POV

 Hoisting my bag up onto my shoulder, I walked through the gates into school and began to run. I didn't care who saw me running as long as it wasn't the bullies. Or Dan. Just thinking about him made me let out a choked sob. Part of me was worried about him because he hadn't been in registration the day before but most of me was angry and upset that Dan would ditch me like that.

 When I reached the form room I barged in, not expecting anyone to be in there. There was. Not only that, though, it was Dan. I halted in the doorway and looked at him. He had his elbows on the desk and his face buried in his hands. I could hear soft sniffs coming from his direction and, as I got closer to him, I could confirm that he was crying.

 He hadn't noticed me yet so I went around to the front of his desk and kneeled down on the floor.

 "Are you okay, Dan?" I asked as quietly as possible so I didn't scare him. Gradually, he lifted his head up from his hands and looked across the desk to me. His beautiful chocolaty brown eyes were red from crying and there were clear paths where tears had streaked down his cheeks.

 "Um," he said uncomfortably, looking down at his hands which were now resting on the table. I reached my hand out to rest it on his shoulder to reassure him that he could trust me. His eyes flicked between my hand and my eyes. He still looked unsure.

 "It's okay, Dan," I reassured him. "You can tell me anything and I will never judge you or leave you because of it."

 "Even if I've killed somebody?" he asked, the corners of his lips turning up slightly. I beamed at him and nodded.

 "Even if you've killed somebody."

 "Yay," he said, smiling a bit more now.

 "But you haven't killed somebody, have you?"

 "No." He laughed slightly and smiled at me as if thanking me.

 "Okay, good," I said. "So what is the matter then?"

 "Well," he began, "My so-called friends are making fun of me for sticking up for you and-" Stopping as if he'd just remembered something, his eyes grew wide with fear.

 "What?" I asked, curious. "And what?" He just shook his head.

 "I can't tell you. I'm sorry, I just can't."

 "Oh. Okay. I guess I understand." I was slightly disappointed that he didn't trust me enough to tell me whatever it was he was hiding but I knew that he would never trust me if I pushed him into telling me something he didn't want to tell me. He smiled at what I'd said and I smiled back, enjoying the moment of peace we were sharing.

 The shrill ringing of the bell cut through the lovely moment and I stood up and walked around to the other side of the desk as people started filing into the classroom.

 "Is it alright if I sit here?" I asked Dan who was looking at me happily.

 "Of course." I pulled the chair back and sat down, dumping my backpack on the floor beside me. After a few minutes, our teacher came in.

A/N: Hellooo! This wasn't too long of a wait, was it? Was it? WAS IT? Please tell me it wasn't. Anyways, hi peoplez hope you liked this chapter it feels kinda longer that the others but I might just be imagining that. I will try and update again as soon as possible but I have school and stuff so it might not be that soon. So, yeah, see ya

                                                        ~Izzy