Chapter 3: Haise's Past

Kagome's POV

When I woke up, someone entered my room.

"Good morning. My name is Aoi, assistant of Haise,"

"Ah, so you are his assistant. You're cute,"

"Thank you,"

"My name is Kagome,"

Aoi and I talked. She told me why she became the assistant of Haise. She said that she was harassed by a spirit, and Haise rescued her. Aoi thanked Haise for saving her life and swore to serve him. She also said that she has no parents and lived on her own. She is just like me.

"Go and change with these clothes, Kagome. I will take your food,"

"No need Aoi. I will go eat in the dining area. I'm now ok,"

"Ok. If you say so, Kagome,"

I changed my clothes and went to the dining area and ate my food. After eating, I told Aoi that I would help her with the chores. She said to sweep the leaves outside. When I am sweeping the leaves, I saw Haise carrying a big basket. I approached Aoi and asked. She told me that Haise owned a restaurant, and is located near the shrine.

After cleaning, I took a rest outside. When I am resting, I saw a spirit going at the shrine and prayed. I hope that what the spirit prayed will come true. Suddenly, Aoi approached me and asked me about me.

"I am a priestess, Aoi,"

"Oh, so you are like Haise. He is devoted to this place, and he also cleanses the possessed spirit,"

"Yup, that's why I begged him yesterday to be his companion,"

"You will become a great tandem. I think you are good together,"

"What? Don't say that, Aoi,"

"What's that look on your face? Do you like Haise?"

"He is kind and handsome. It's not hard to like him also,"

Aoi said that lots of spirits came here to pray.

"Can you take me to Haise? I want to see his restaurant,"

"Sure. Let's go,"

We went to Haise's restaurant. When we arrive, I saw Haise.

"Kagome, I will go back to the shrine now,"

"Ok"

Haise is working hard.

"Haise"

"Kagome. What are you doing here?"

"You did not say that you owned a restaurant. Aoi told me,"

"I thought so. Want to eat something?"

"Sure"

Haise ordered something, and I find a table. After a few minutes, the food is served. I taste it, and it's delicious. After eating, I went back to the shrine. When I got back, I saw a spirit, and it's a little girl. I approached her and maybe, talk to her.

"Hello there, little girl,"

"Hi. You are human. Are you here to pray?"

"No. I live here, and I'm a priestess,"

"Oh. Is God going to hear my prayers?"

"He will hear your prayers. Believe and have faith in him,"

"Ok"

We talked and played.

Haise's POV

I was on my way back to the shrine when I saw Kagome happily playing with a spirit. Kagome is kind has a pure heart, and beautiful. When I first saw her when she is attacked, I wanted to save her because it's like a dejavu. I am successful in saving her. When I was treating her wounds last night, I thought that she would freak out seeing me, but she doesn't freak out. She said that she is a priestess and is not afraid of anything.

I like her, but not in a romantic way. I can't fall in love with Kagome either because of what happened a few years ago. You see, like Kagome, I saved a human girl. I bought her to the shrine and took care of her. She is weak. Her name is Nanami. As time goes by, I fell in love with her. I confessed that I love her, and she also loves me. We became a couple. One day, she said to go outside alone. A few hours later, I sensed danger, and I smell blood, which has the same scent as Nanami. When I arrive at where the scent is, I was too late because she was devoured by a possessed spirit already. I felt sad and devastated because of her death. Aoi cheered me up, and for a year, I'm back to my old self again. I would always think about her from time to time.

That's why I can't fall in love again with a human because I don't want to repeat that incident. It hurts. All I can do for Kagome is to protect her in danger because she doesn't have powers.

Narrator's POV

When Kagome is done playing with the spirit, the spirit said goodbye and hope to come back again. She saw Haise standing, and his face looks serious like he is thinking about something. Kagome approached him.

"Haise?"

"Oh, Kagome"

"What are you thinking? It looks serious. Is something bothering you?"

"Ah, nothing serious. Never mind it. Let's go inside?"

"Ok"

Kagome said to Haise that she had fun playing with the spirit. She said that she is friendly. Haise is glad to hear that to Kagome because she is adapting quickly to their world.