12. Confrontation

Caveat's POV

"Bring the human back to the lab, now! Bring Melody here as well, it's not safe out there! Gaster's been sighted by civilians, he's going to try something!" I couldn't remember Dad ever sounding this frantic.

I hung up and turned to Melody. "Something's come up. It's not safe here. We need to get to the lab. Prota, you too." Melody looked confused. I quickly apologized to her as I warped the three of us. She's never handled shortcuts well.

The Lab snapped into view as we arrived, dad waiting for us on arrival. I broke from the group and asked him for details.

3rd POV

Caveat rushed to Sans. "he was spotted in Eastern Waterfall, then Floor L2 of the CORE within three minutes of each other. Five monsters have gone missing within that time." The skeleton quickly explained.

Melody spoke up. "Um, I need an explanation. What's going on?"

Alphys spoke up. "It's a threat we've been moderately aware of for years, but never thought it could actually h-happen. It's an old friend of mine who went the way of Flowey, losing h-his soul. He's dangerous, but we d-don't know what he wants."

Melody said nothing. Why hadn't the king and queen been informed? Had they?

Sans looked around at the odd machines that lined the walls of the lab. "Where did i... Oh $#!+. I must have left it back at the old cabin when we moved to New Home... Alphys! I have something that could help us, but it's not here. Keep an eye on them while i'm getting it!" he began grabbing some files before teleporting away.

Prota's POV

"He's really scared. How dangerous is this guy?" Melody asked. You clear your throat. "He's Sans's father, apparently. He tried to become immortal, or reset time, or something, and lost his soul in the process." you were sweating nervously, remembering how sick you felt when he tried to drain your soul

"Y-yeah. He was the Royal S-Scientist before either of us."Alphys added.

"And everyone just forgot him. He gets stronger from people remembering him." Caveat finished for them.

"That's correct. You've done your research, haven't you?" everyone turned to the voice. Three of Gaster's followers stood there, having entered without a sound. The cat-like one in the middle seemed to be where the voice came from, but his mouth wasn't moving. "Do not panic, my associates are here only for Prota." the voice was coming from a clay-like head the follower was holding.

Alphys swallowed and summoned a few rings of lightning bolts around the four of you. "S-stay back! I- I..."

The head spoke again. By now you clearly recognized it as Gaster's haunting, self assured voice. "Why are you so hostile Alphys? What precedent have I given for you to act in this way?"

Alphys spoke with an unusual stillness. "You killed those people. They had friends. Families."

All of the followers laughed, mockery clear in their voices, even through the distortion. "Oh? And could I not say the same to you about the Amalgamates? Did they not have lives before you did your experiments? I must thank you though. It was the remnants of them that allowed me to start gathering my strength back."

Alphys' courage vanished immediately as she faltered. "I was trying to s-save them!" she responded.

"And I am doing the same thing, trying to save monster kind. Those few unfortunate deaths were necessary to sustain us. Furthermore, we only made use of resources deemed unimportant.

Melody gasped. "Resources? People! not Resources! How could you-"

The head contorted strangely, glaring at her. "Mind your tongue, your highness. Your kind are not worth speaking to. Now, I've come for the human, so kindly give them to me."

Melody reinforced the protective barrier with spinning stars. Caveat summoned a crude, but very sharp bone spear above you all, pointed at them.

"If you insist on doing this the hard way, Then what's done is done." the skull said before crumbling. The short follower dashed through the attacks, tackling alphys out of it. Caveat attempted to hit them with the spear, but the snake monster snapped in front of it, biting it in half.

The follower began to swing wildly at Alphys with claws, before a star shot from the barrier and flung it away. Alphys tried to get up, holding a hand over a large wound.

"Caveat, heal her! I need to keep up the shield!" Caveat sighed and shook his head. "What, why?" Melody asked, holding back another attack from the snake. 

You put the dots together. "He can't. He can't heal." you said, quietly. 

He had to take you to get healing items after your first run in with gaster, of course he couldn't heal. Melody paled, and looked frantically between alphys and you.

The snake tore at another star, wrenching it away. Caveat stuck a small bone sword through, holding it back. Melody trembled, using as much magic as she could while trying to send a small green star towards alphys. The shield started to blur and weaken.

"Stop! I'll go with you, just don't hurt them!"