XXXVII || The Return of Lucifer

Lena hasn't learnt anything from Combat Training.

If anything, there's only the proof that conjurers are almighty and powerful—Arven himself took out five students at once.

She doesn't know what to make of that little childish brawl, though. The other students are not sure what to think of it, either. Some laughed, but there are equal amount of students who stood there with cocked heads. Arven was so ticked off by Xavier embarrassing him with such a childish display despite his perfect victory that he was fuming and yelling at the mischievous boy even as they separated to their respective classes. Still, it was funny to watch. It's a reminder that the students here are still humans after all.

Then again, Lena leaves the Combat Training class today without a scratch, but without any confidence either. Combat Training always scares her, because the students are always asked to be paired up in a probable duel situation. Sometimes, there are obstacle courses that leave her muscles aching. She isn't sure how long she'd take to adjust to the fact that Arcane Academy focuses on moulding students into great fighters against demons.

The next class for Aquila is General Studies. Not surprising, this class is considered to be the most boring of all for the rest of the students here, even worse than World History. Most students are reluctant to have any knowledge at all in Mathematics or Sciences, because all they care about is their respective abilities. Lena can't seem to ace this class, though, because again, they are already too advanced. She'll still have to catch up.

Roen walks with her along the way back to their class, stopping by the lockers to gather their books. He complains about not being able to play soccer after school, earning a skeptical look from Lena.

"You have soccer here?"

"Why not?"

"Um, I don't know. They have a lot of weird things here. And soccer? That's oddly normal for the City of Leatia's Arcane Academy."

A laugh escapes Roen. "Weird?"

Leaning against her locker door, Lena begins ticking off her fingers. "Demons and superpowers, to say the least. Subjects like Weaponry, Ability Mastery and Combat Training. Besides, aren't there these games you play with your abilities... King's whatever?"

"The Crown's Game." A grin spreads on Roen's handsome features. "It's three on three. There's also Precision."

"Then why do you play something so normal like soccer?"

"Why? I can't breathe without soccer!"

They continue down the hall, mostly with Roen leading the way. Lena still remains unconscious of the proper structure of this enormous building, but after two weeks she has at least feel less trapped in a labyrinth. There are rooms on each side, and the space opens up to a much wider path. If she must guess, the centre courtyard leads to the narrow corners that build up, ultimately, into the back of the building, where the facilities are held. That makes perfect sense. Arcane Academy, however prominent, is still a simple structure that holds students and facilitates studies.

Still, she finds it astonishing that they have unknowingly arrived on the fourth floor.

The structure seems old, and Lena still isn't convinced the technology here is faster than her old school because of the environment—the style the building is built, like an old castle, and the very walls that line up the inside which look like some old monument.

When they turn another corner, Lena and Roen find themselves faced with a growing crowd before their classroom. They give each other a quick glance, before proceeding toward the door.