Chapter 8

Ember's POV

I closed my eyes as I held the stone of memories. Concentrating as hard as I could, I thought back over three thousand years ago, the day after Damian was banished to Limbo.

When I reopened my eyes, I was no longer in my room, but was suspended in the air inside a cottage. I looked around, before I crashed into a wooden table, causing it to break in half. Hey, the wood was flimsy, okay?

"Ow..." I groaned, and I finally noticed the elderly man sitting a little ways away from me, looking exhausted, but somehow happy to see me despite the fact I had literally dropped into his house and destroyed his table.

"Oh my gosh," I said. "I am so sorry about your table! I can get you a new one if you'd like me to."

"Nah, it's okay. The table was getting shabby anyways," the old man said. "Care for a cup of tea?"

"Yes please," I said, and the man poured me some tea. "Thank you." I added.

"Now, young man," he said. "Are you here to talk about my former student?

Former student? I thought. Wait does this mean...

"Are you Maximiliano?" I asked. "The former mentor of Damian?"

"Indeed I am," he said. "Now who are you, and why haven't I met you before?"

"My name is Ember Ayers," I said. "And I'm not from this time period at all. I'm from the—"

"From the future," the mentor finished. "I figured that out. In fact, I've been waiting for you."

"You have?" I asked.

"Yes, young hero, I have," Maximiliano said. "Here, take this sword. I've been waiting to give it to you."

He handed me what looked like a long diamond sword with an enchanted Ender pearl in the middle of the handle and an enchanted diamond at the end of it.

"What is this sword?" I asked, thinking about how SeaWing always mocked my Netherrite sword, surely she would mock a diamond sword, no matter how cool it looked.

"This sword," Maximiliano explained. "Has the ability to teleport it's user anywhere they want. You just have to think of a place and the sword will take you there. This sword is also the only way to destroy Damian for good. However, a sacrifice must be made for this to happen."

"A sacrifice?" I repeated.

"Here," the mentor said, handing me an orb. "This orb can protect and save anyone no matter what happens to them, however, it can only be used once and it can not bring someone back to life. Now, do you have his Ender eye?"

"You mean this one?" I asked, handing him the red Ender eye.

"Yes," he said, handing it back. "Whatever you do, don't let it fall into Damian's possession. Without it, his powers will get weaker, and soon any type of spell he used, except for the ones that will kill you, will vanish." He smiled. "I wish you the best of luck."

"Thank you, mentor," I said, before turning away and began to concentrate as hard as I could.

"Ember," Maximiliano said, and I turned around. "I sent you that stone of memories."

Then he faded away and the next thing I knew, I was somewhere totally different.

"What? Where am I?" I asked, looking around as I put my new sword away. It looked deserted and there seemed to be skeletons everywhere. There were also a plethora of witch hats everywhere. Something about these hats seemed eerily familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Didn't Rain or Stella once mention a place like this before?