Chapter 1- Saddest Summer Ever

“Here we go again.” Ruby sighed. “Another summer of slave work.” 

We joined the rest of my coworkers in the dining hall. This would be my third, and hopefully last, summer working at Warren Yacht Club. Summer was the start of the busy season which meant waiting hand and foot on the snobby rich folks from the city. My last two years at this job were spent in the boiling hot sun checking boats in and out of the dock. Everyone hated that particular task but I did it with a smile in hopes of moving to the wait staff, no matter how bad it ruined my complexion. The hard work payed off though, and I was moved up by Mrs. Caulfield herself, who was impressed by my customer service skills.

“You’re so lucky to be indoors this year. You’ll be comfortable in the air conditioning while I’ll be out there burning in the sun collecting golf balls.”

“It’s not so bad. The golfers tip well.” I assured Ruby.

“Not as well as the dining room. You’re going to be rolling in cash.” She stated with a bit of envy in her tone. That was my big reason for wanting to be a waitress. Money was always a big problem with my family but was only made worse by my acceptance in to college.

We found Pierce Meyer in front of the crowd. He wasn’t easy to miss with his tall, skinny frame and red-orange hair. Besides Ruby, he was the closest to being ‘more than an acquaintance’ to me. They were almost friends, if I had the time to have them.

“Hey Pierce. Did we miss anything?” Ruby asked.

“Nope. You’re just in time. Do you think Ms. C is going to cry during her speech this year?”

Ruby shook here head. “I think the old bat is too dried up to produce any tears.”

“Ten bucks says she’s in tears by the time we’re out of here.”

“You’re on Meyer.” Pierce and Ruby shook each others hand and then turned to me.

“You in Lay?” Pierce asked. I just shook my head “no.”

Before the announcements, I took some time to inspect the new recruits. I could differentiate the oldies from the newbies by the color vest they wore. Theres was a navy blue, while ours were a deep red. Most of them were huddled together in the back of the group. They were fresh faced kids who had not truly experienced life and all of it’s wonderful tragedies. I envied them and their innocence.

Mrs. Caulfield cleared her throat to grab the attention of the crowd. When the volume didn’t decrease, she cleared it louder. Finally, the talking stopped.

“Welcome! I hope everyone got some time to get to know each other. You’re going to see a lot of these faces, so get use to them. To those of you have worked here previously, I hope you will help the new staff with their duties.” Pierce snickered at the word “duties” and Mrs. C shot him a death glance. I elbowed him in the ribs to make him pay attention.

“And to the new staff,” she continued, “Please show our veterans some respect and don’t hesitate to ask any questions. Now, as you might of heard, this Yacht club has been here for 100 years. In fact, this year we will be celebrating our centennial with a Gala at the end of the month. If you prove yourself worthy, you’ll be able to work the party. My great great grandfather, Charles Caulfield, was on of the founders of the town of Warren. He helped to establish this town to be one of the greatest in all of Maryland.” 

Mrs. C pulled out a tissue and dabbed the corner of her eyes. I Looked over to Ruby who rolled her eyes and reluctantly placed money in to a smug faced Pierce’s hand.

“I apologize for my emotions. I’m just very proud of this town and my lineage, and I know all of you will continue to make me proud. With that said, it is time to break up in to smaller groups. You all have your assignments, so please make way to you leader.”