Chapter 4-Strangers in the Night

I drove my car slowly around town, which always helped to clear my head. Warren wasn't a huge city by any means but it was, luckily enough for me, big enough to get lost in. It was approaching midnight and all  the streets were barren and the boutiques and shops that lined main street were closed for the night. The only places that were still open were the fast food joints and bars, and I definitely wasn't going in those. I contemplated for a moment calling Ruby because if anyone was still awake, it would be her, but decided against it. Knowing her, she was probably on her way to some random guys bed.

After an hour or so of driving around, and picking up some coffee, I finally settled on my destination. The yacht club was dark and quiet when I pulled in. Normally people stayed away from their jobs at all costs but the club was so peaceful at night and the familiar smell of the ocean air was almost enough to forget your problems. Almost.

“Hey! This is private property.” A mans voice called out. I stood still as the flashlight shone on my face, blinding me. “Layla?” the man questioned. I gave a half smile an handed Larry the security guard a cup of coffee. He dropped his flashlight and grabbed the drink from me.

“I haven't seen you here this late in a long time. Everything ok?” Larry was the guard here for years. Most nights he patrolled the area, bored to death because nothing exciting ever happens in Warren but one day, five years ago, he found me crying near the water and took me home. It was the day my father passed away. After that, every time he saw me there, he knew something was wrong.

“I was here last week. Brought you a coffee and everything but I didn't see you. You’re slacking Larry.” I teased.

“I was on vacation last week. Tyler Stewart was the one covering for me and all that punk kid does is sleep in the patrol car.”

“Kids these days.” I chimed in.

He took a sip of his coffee. “So what happened tonight?”

“Mother stuff.”

He nodded. He was use to hearing about her. “And last week?”

“Drew left.”

“Got it. Alright kid you know the deal. Not too long alright? And if anyone asks, I never saw you.”

”Thanks Larry.”

“No problem Layla. You be safe.” He patted my shoulder and went on whistling and twirling his baton.

I ran towards the docks which was brightly lit by the surrounding spotlights. This was my happy place.  This place served as the spot where I came to clear my head and gain perspective whenever I was down or stressed, which unfortunately, happened more than I wanted to admit. I walked along the Dozens of wooden piers all lined up with million dollar yachts and sailboats but only one served my interest. Pier 33, was the last in line which meant seclusion and it reached out the furthest in to the ocean. It also housed, what I thought, were the prettiest boats among the rest. They were not the most elaborate or expensive ones but each one tied to the dock was unique. They looked as if they had many adventures and stories to tell. The lights were dimmer here but illuminated the area enough to admire all of the beautiful vessels.

When I reached the end of the dock, I stood there and let the sea breeze wash over me. It blew through my hair and I felt my face cool. It was then that I finally felt like I could breathe. I lifted my face and felt the ocean mist and let the calm feeling take over me. I was happy to be working inside and out of the blazing sun this summer but Desi was right, I would miss working near the water.

My mind drifted back to my mother. How could she not see that by sitting there and doing nothing that she was hurting us? What would happen to Desi when I left for college? Could I take her with me? That seemed like the only viable option because there was no way I was sticking around here. Then I thought of Drew. I thought about how much fun he was having without me and in that moment, I resented him. Only for a moment. I could never hate Drew for long. He was my best friend when I needed someone the most but I had to let him go. He needed to live life like an 18 year old boy should, not be burdened by the problems of someone as messed up as I was.

“Beautiful night, isn't it?” my thoughts were interrupted by a voice that came from my left side. I jumped back. “Sorry.” He apologized. “I didn't mean to scare you.”

I steadied my breath as the man, perched on the nearby sailboat, took a sip of his beer and grinned down a me. He was tall and definitely good looking in a preppy sort of way. His hair was sandy brown and windblown. He wore a red polo and fitted khakis rolled up at the ankle and a pair of topsiders. He looked like your typical yacht club rich boy.

“Do you always sneak up on people like that?” my tone came out harsh.

“Only the beautiful ones.”

I rolled my eyes and my defenses went immediately up. Was this a joke? He not only looked like one of our members he had the attitude to match. I turned my head away, choosing no longer to engage with him. 

“You got a name?” I tightened my arms across my chest and the arrogant son of a bitch chuckled.

“It’s like that huh? Ok. Well, I was out here relaxing and watching the stars when I heard someone breathing really loudly. Obnoxiously loud. It sounded like a bull which is highly unlikely in this part of the country, so I decided to investigate the annoying sound and found it coming from you.” He hopped down to the lower deck and propped one foot on the edge of the boat. “Before the noise, I was trying to find as many constellations as I could because it helps clear my head. See that one over there?” he pointed to a cluster of stars above my head. “That one is Cassiopeia.” I remained silent and unamused which he took as an invitation to keep talking. “This is some town you live in. I’ve been to a lot of different ones but Warren is shaping out to be my favorite. For starters, you have a 24 hour coffee shop.” He took another swig of beer. “And this pier is proving to be superior to all of the others. Plus the women here…” I scowled at him and his smile grew wider.

“Do you want to go for a ride?” he asked.

“Excuse me?”

“She speaks!” he placed a hand on his chest dramatically. “Do you want to go for a ride?” he asked again. “I can have her ready in no time.”

I examined the sailboat more closely. It was a bit worn but the white paint shone bright and instead of the common nautical blue, the trim was painted with a subtle gold that reflected in the moonlight. It was gorgeous. “Is that even your boat?”  I asked skeptically.

“Of course it is. Why? Did you think I was going to steal it?” I shrugged my shoulders. The thought had crossed my mind. “So, how about it?”

“Thanks, but I think I’ll pass.”

“Why? Afraid of the dark, scary water?” he was teasing me now. I wanted to slap the look of enjoyment off his smug face.

“No. I’m afraid of getting on a boat, in the middle of the night, with a complete stranger, who, for all I know, could be a murderer.”

“Wow a thief and a murderer! Who are you hanging out with?”

I closed my eyes in frustration. All I wanted was some peace and quiet and this jerk was getting in the way of that.

“I’m Leo. 21, sailed here from Boston, I’m a Libra who enjoys-.”

“Why are you telling me this?”

“So we wont be strangers anymore.”

His arrogance had no bounds. “Look, Leo is it?” he nodded, “I came out here for some quiet time and deep thinking but since you insist on going on about your stupid self and the stupid stars and your stupid boat, I’m going to leave now.”

He stood there still, staring at me, blinking a few times before a burst of laughter bubbled out of him.

“I’m serious.” I deadpanned but that only made him laugh harder.

“Man, thanks for that mystery girl. My day was pretty shitty until now.” He then lowered the mast of his boat until they were closed and tied up. “I’ll leave you alone with your deep thoughts. Thanks for the welcoming.” He winked at me and then disappeared in to the hull.