Chapter 2- Layla

2

I made sure everyone was out of the break room before I went back and clocked out. After the strange encounter with the new guy Max, I needed processing time before any more potential awkward run ins. He caught me off guard this time but next time I would be prepared for anything he threw my way. 

It was late in the evening which meant Ruby was off of her shift as well. I made my way to the golf course to try to catch her before she went home for the day. Out on the course I saw her and Pierce riding around in one of the golf carts. She was driving crazy while Pierce was flailing about, laughing his ass off.

“Hey sexy!” Ruby called out to me. Pierce leaned over and honked the horn.

“Want a ride on the love mobile?” he asked wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

“You’re going to get fired if they catch you.” I warned.

“Please, like they could fire me. I’m an asset to the team.” Ruby bragged.

“Did Ms. C tell you that?” Pierce asked.

“Not in so many words. She told me to quit flirting with the noobs and get back to work but her face was full of admiration.” Pierce and I laughed at Ruby’s ridiculous story.

“Right. Admiration.” I said.

“Well, are you going to hop on or just stand there?”

“We really shouldn’t.”

Ruby groaned in frustration as she and Pierce exchanged looks. Pierce, seeming to read her mind, nodded and then jumped out of the cart to pick me up and place me in the front seat.

“Strap her in tight!” Ruby yelled as she whirled around the course on full speed.

“Speaking of noobs.” Pierce segued back to what Ruby said, “Theres a hot one in my training group. Her name is Jackie and her legs go up to here.” He moved his hand to his forehead.

“Was that the blonde girl I saw you with?”

“Yup. You checking her out too, Lay? I didn’t know you swung that way.” I turned around and punched him hard on the chest. “Ow. Geez I was just kidding. I’m going to have to put in work with this one though. All she and her friend talked about was this dude named Max.” I stiffened in my seat.

“Max?” Ruby asked. “Never heard of him.”

“He’s this guy from out of town. All the chicks think he’s hot but personally, I don’t see it. Isn’t he in your group Lay?”

My hands fumbled on my lap. I wasn’t sure why but for some reason I felt nervous.

“Yeah.” I answered. “He is.”

“And? Is he hot? Come on St, James, give me something.”

“He’s good looking I suppose. He doesn’t say very much.”

“The silent type. I like it!“

“Cynthia did say he was your type.”

“Cynthia? That wannabe poseur. How would she know who I liked? We went out the other night and she kept trying to keep up with me. Like she could ever compete with all of this.”  Her hands gestured down her body.

I met Ruby a couple of years ago and from day one, I’ve always admired her confidence. She was rail thin with a pixie haircut that not everyone could pull off but she managed to. Her face was caked with heavy eye make up everyday and when out of uniform, she wore anything short, tight and leather. I met her on my first day of work here. She was court ordered to find a job because of some trouble she got in to. I didn't know what for because she never talked abut it and I never asked. We didn’t acknowledge each other until Pierce entered the picture. He was initially outcasted due to his appearance which drew him and Ruby together. Turned out Pierce had a crush on me and Ruby served as his accomplice to get to me. When they found out I had a boyfriend they plotted to steal me away but the plan backfired when Pierce met Drew. The two of them some how hit it off and became close friends and Pierce quickly got over me. Even though we hung out at work and occasionally outside of it, I never let them in to my world. Like everyone else in my life, I made sure to always keep them at arms length, that way no one got hurt.