Chapter Fourteen - What do I do now?

CIERA'S POV

Oh, my God, Oh, my God, Oh, my God… I thought frantically. Caleb was kissing me. I was kissing Caleb. Oh, God… Suddenly I pushed him away. I didn’t know if this was really what he wanted to do, or if it was a joke, or a prank, or if… There were just so many ‘what if’s’ that I couldn’t think.

“Is something wrong?” He asked tentatively, brushing the rebel lock of hair behind my ear once again.

“Yes. I mean, no. I mean,” I stuttered. I didn’t know if something was wrong. If it’s not clear, I didn’t know much of anything in that moment.

“You mean…” He started to move away from me, his tone questioning. I wrapped my hand around his slowly, blushing and looking away.

“I mean that I want to kiss you… but it’s wrong. I mean, it’s not wrong, it’s just-” He cut me off with a kiss on my cheek. I sighed.

“I mean that we’re not together. And we won’t be. So… there’s no point,” I released, pulling my hand away and hugging my knees.

“Now, why do you say that?” He asked, scooting closer to me. There were so many reasons why I would say that. He’s too ‘jock’, I’m too ‘geek’, my friends adore him and his friends can’t stand me. I looked at his eyes and I saw my reflection. I looked sad, scared. Kind of the way I felt, kind of completely the opposite. I looked away from myself, searching for something to show that he knew what I meant. After a moment I saw the realization cross his eyes, then be replaced by the same sadness I had seen in my reflection.

“I don’t think you’re right, Cherry. I think that we could make it work,” He started, and I could tell he was going to try and convince me but I cut him off.

“And what about the girls like Lucille? What about the fact that I will become the target of the angry ‘popular’ girls who thought that they would be the next ones to have a chance with you? Caleb, there is no way that I can put up with Lucille alone. Marcy would be help, but after a while she’d break from trying to protect me and we wouldn’t talk anymore,” I reasoned.

“Ciera… you wouldn’t be alone.”