four - just curious

---

"ALRIGHT, GIRLS," VERNON SAID, "THAT'S thirty minutes for lunch."

"Here?" Andrew asked. Vernon nodded in clarification, "Well, I think the cafeteria would be a more suitable place to eat lunch in, sir."

"Well, I don't care what you think, Andrew."

"Uh, Dick?" John asked, gaining the attention Vernon, "Excuse me, Rich. Will milk be made available to us?"

"We're extremely thirsty, sir," Esther said.

"I have a really low tolerance for dehydration," Claire added.

"I've seen her dehydrated, sir," Andrew spoke, "It's pretty gross."

"Relax," John said getting up from his seat, "I'll get it."

"Ah-ah-ah!" Vernon denied, "Grab some wood there, bub. What do you think, I was born yesterday? You think I'm gonna have you roaming these halls?" John nodded sarcastically, twisting his face. Vernon pointed at Andrew and Esther, and they stood up with a huff.

"So," Andrew began to strike conversation. Esther eyed him intently "what's your poison?" She didn't respond. Picking up that she didn't understand what he was asking, he clarified. "What do you drink?"

"Water. Orange juice. You know, the basics."

"No, I'm talking, like, alcohol. You know?"

"Oh."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, oh. I stay away from alcohol. I'm not a big fan of it."

"Why not? Have you ever tried it before?" Esther pointed a finger towards him, and he held his arms up. "I'm not trying to be rude, I promise. I'm just curious. I want to know more about you. You seem interesting."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah! I'm really serious, you know. I don't bite. I promise."

"Well... if you really want to know, my father drinks a lot. I don't like that. So I stay away from it." She looked at him with a smile. "Although... if you ever need me to hook you up, I've got a beer fridge. So much shit in there that my dad wouldn't even realize some of it is gone."

He winked. "I guess I know who to call if I'm ever in need of anything." They walked further before he spoke up again. "Where do you live, by the way? I see you walk with Bender a lot."

"Across the school, a few houses down from John."

"Oh, that small white house? Right near the run-down looking one?"

She sighed. "No. That's John's. I'm at the run-down looking one, unfortunately."

"Oh." Andrew began to tug at his hoodie strings. "I'm sorry for bringing it up."

"Eh," Esther shrugged him off. "It's not a big deal. It's a house, you know. I pay for most of it. All the bills and stuff. And the food. But... it's home."