CHAPTER 23

HER sessions with her doctor had been very progressive. Few sessions more and she knew her mental condition will totally be recovered. Mas naging magaan sa kanya ang lahat nang buksan niya ang sarili sa iba. Sharing what she feels and what's running in her mind helped a lot, knowing that someone listened to her brought a lot of comforts. Acceptance also played a big role in recovering from the pain and unpleasant experiences that she had been through.

Kampante siya dahil alam niyang hindi siya nag-iisa sa laban niya. Her family always supports her, and her number one supporter was always with her. Just like what he had promised days ago, he remain close on her side every step of the way. Walang araw na hindi sila magkasama ni Anthony. Marami na silang napag-usapan tungkol sa buhay ng isa't isa at tungkol sa opinyon nila sa mga bagay-bagay. Akala niya kilala na niya ito ng lubos pero may mga bagay palang hindi niya alam tungkol dito.

Tulad nga ngayon nakaupo sila sa sofa sa loob ng entertainment room ng binata. Nakasandal ito sa sofa habang siya ay nakahilig ang ulo sa dibdib nito. Kakatapos lang nilang manood ng palabas, sa nakalipas na mga araw ay iyon ang kanilang paraan upang palipasin ang oras. Hindi niya naisip noon na hahantung sila sa ganoong kalagayan. Para silang aso't pusa kung magbangayan suballit ngayon ay hindi sila mapaghiwalay.

Noong una ay nakakaramdam siya ng pagkailang sa presensiya ni Anthony ngunit kalaunan ay nakasanayan na niya. Sa katunayan ay hinahanap-hanap niya ang presensiya nito kapag wala ito.

"Why did you choose to be a policeman?" basag niya sa katahimikan. Nanatiling nakatutok ang kanyang mga mata sa malaking flat screen tv at nilalaro ang mga daliri nito sa kanyang kamay.

"Honestly, as a child, I dreamt to be a businessman like Dad and help him managed his company. But it changed when he treats me indifferently. Gano'n na ang turing niya sa akin simula pa man ng mga unang taon ng buhay ko pero dahil bata pa nga ay hindi ko yon napagtuunan ng pansin. But as I grew older I realized that his treatment towards me was different from the way he treated my older brothers. Of course, he still acts as a father to me but I can feel the reservation. At some point in his life, he thought that I am not his son. When he cheated with Ally's mother he thought that mom did cheat too to get back at him. Maybe later, he fully accepted me as his son," mahabang turan ni Anthony na may pait sa boses. "Don't get me wrong, I don't hate my father, it's just that, his indifference to me years ago was engraved in my mind. Our relationship becomes better and better as you see. I admit I was a trouble kid on my teenage years. Marami akong record sa school, mabuti nga natanggap ako sa pagpupulis," he said while chuckling, remembering the old days. "Aaminin kong kaya ako nagrebelde dahil gusto kong mapansin niya ako at gusto kong guluhin ang buhay ng isang Alessandro Sanford," dagdag nito na nilalaro ang dulo ng kanyang mahabang buhok.

"I didn't know that your father think that way. I mean, I like Tito Sandro but I didn't know he could be that... cold. What's there to doubt, you have his eyes and feature. You are the younger version of your father... And oh, I remember the younger Anthony. The boy with piercing, long hair that looks like a gangster. A total definition of a bad boy." They laugh in unison at what she had said. "What changed you? What made you who you are today? The righteous Senior Police Officer Three Anthony Sanford? You didn't answer my previous question." She looked at his eyes and pouted. Hindi na siya naiilang na umakto ng ganoon sa harap nito, tinakasan na siya ng hiya sa katawan.

Matamang tumitig si Anthony sa kanyang mga mata. "When I was younger I don't see myself as a cop, I envisioned myself wearing suits and tie and not a man in a uniform. But my perspective, my will and my dream changed when I entered a hospital room looking for my brother. But he was not there, instead, I saw a beautiful young woman with sadness and grief visible in her eyes. I am captivated by the sadness I saw, it awakened the protective instinct in me. From then on I vowed to protect her with my life. When I heard what happened to her I am so mad that I wanted to rip that boy's throat for what he did to her. Then a sudden feeling of wanting to put those delinquent behind bars hits me. Gusto kong hulihin ang lahat ng kriminal. I worked hard day and night. I changed myself, no, I didn't exactly really changed it, binalik ko lang ang dating ako. I set my mind towards my goals and inspiration and that's what makes me who I am today. I changed for you, I choose to be a better me to protect you. At para may maipagmalaki ako sa 'yo sa hinaharap," he uttered passionately and sincerely.

His eyes became darker and it was staring at her as if she was the most beautiful woman in the world. How could she not fall for him all over again? Her heart was thumping too fast. She did not expect to hear those words from his lips and it brought her too much joy.

Siya ang naunang mag-iwas ng tingin at bumalik sa dating puwesto. Leaning her head on his broad chest and asked, "Don't you have any regret?"

"I do. May mga bagay na hindi natin maiiwasan, hindi naman natin kontrolado ang lahat. If we failed in our missions and my men died or got injured, I blamed myself. If only I am better. I have my own regrets and pain whether in my job or my personal affairs. But I love where I am now. I love my job just like you love being a doctor. And I love you more than anybody else." He kissed her head with too much love.

"I don't know if I deserve your love, but I'll hold onto it. You made me feel safe, I... I am happy when I'm with you," pag-aamin niya.

"You're more than enough, Adeline. You deserve me, I deserve you. We deserve each other. If only you feel the same way too. But we can start with you being happy and safe with me. I'll work hard to improve that and make you love me."

"I do," mahina niyang anas.

"What?"

Isang malalim na buntung-hininga ang kanyang pinakawalan at muling sinalubong ang mga mata ni Anthony. "I said I do. I feel the same way too, for eleven years now. I admire you from a distance. I am in love with you even if you always teases and mocking me. Ang totoo, kahit na palagi mo akong iniinis ay okay lang sa akin dahil pinagtutuunan mo ako ng pansin. You notice me even if not as a woman but as a friend you love to tease. I like it when I'm with you. I love to see your face and your brown eyes staring at me. I admire your courage and braveness, your compassion for others and your dedication to your job," she uttered meekly. His body became stiff, his mouth parted and his eyes were sparkling in happiness. "S-say something. Oh, this is embarrassing. I shouldn't have told you that. Baka nga binibiro mo lang ako nang sabihin mong mahal mo ako. Foolish me, forget I said—" Hindi niya natuloy ang sasabihin nang siliin siya nito ng halik. Anthony's sweet way to shut her up.

Nagulat man ay nagawa niyang tugunin ang halik na iyon. She went on top of him and coiled her hands on his neck.

The kiss lasted for minutes. Until they feel like their lungs were about to give up and run out of oxygen. Habol ang hiningang pinakawalan nila ang labi ng isa't-isa. Inilayo niya nang bahagya ang mukha rito para matitigan ito sa mga mata.

"Thank you," he whispered to her.

"For what?".

"For loving me. Thank you for loving me back. God, I love you so much. I don't know the meaning of life without you. Thank you for coming into my life, I love you so much."

"I love you too." It feels so good saying what she truly feels. It totally made her free. They are free to show their love for each other without holding back. She loves him, he loves her. What more would she ask for?

"It's official. We're official. You're mine I am yours. We belong together."