Chapter 18

Nico scuffed at a spot on the floor with his boot and wondered where it had come from, when was the last time someone noticed it, when this room had been stepped in last. It was a castle, after all. An old one, older than even the idea of America. 

"Even if I believed you, what am I supposed to do about it?" Malfoy asked.

Nico looked up from the floor at the first sound in a good ten minutes. Malfoy had been silent, red-faced, thinking. Now he stared at Nico in acceptance.

"You have options." Nico reached into the shadows and grabbed his sword, pulling it out. "This is how I protect myself. You're going to need one and you're going to have to learn how to use it."

Malfoy jumped at the show of powers before scowling. "A wand will work perfectly fine. Swords are in the use of savages, mudbloods,-"

"Wands don't work against Greek or Roman monsters," Nico replied. "Don't you think I would if they could? They're so much easier to carry and hide. But you're going to need a sword or knife or something. Or you're going to die."

"I've been just fine-"

"Once you're aware of what you are, the monsters are going to come for you. It's just what happens."

"Well, isn't that convenient," Malfoy drawled. "It completely makes sense."

Nico rolled his eyes. "Whether you believe or not, it's just how it's going to go. But you're different that other demigods. You, me, and Dominic are the only three wizard-demigods. Well, so I think. That one girl from our first year here was a little suspicious. But all children of Hecate are."

She's one of my least favorites, Hecate defended.

Thanks for finally speaking to me.

"Hecate, that's...?"

"The goddess of magic."

Malfoy scoffed. "A goddess of magic. I'm having a serious conversation with a Weasley about a goddess of magic."

"You can stop saying my name like that now."

"You aren't even a Weasley by blood, why are you so loyal to them?" Malfoy asked. 

Loyal. Nico accepted his new fatal flaw. It was something good to die for.

"They're my family, they raised me, and if it came down to it, I'd kill or die for them."

/\/\/\/\/\/\

Nico laid on Will's bed and scowled down at his homework. Nothing in his brain wanted to focus on the paper or the quill in his hand. All he could think about was Malfoy and Voldemort and the tournament.

Do you know who his godly parent is? he asked.

Hecate still didn't answer. He didn't know what godly problems kept her attention away from him, but it was pretty damn infuriating since this was her quest, after all.

And he couldn't think of a damn thing to write for the damn paper.

"Whatcha doing?" Will asked, plopping down beside him and looking at the paper over his shoulder. "Ew, homework."