15

Gunner Jackson

The week had gone by without much problem. Kaden came over to check on me, always finding me weaker than what he had left me to the point where he asked me why I didn't just stay in the water until it passed.

My main reason was that I knew if I did, I'd only end up stretching the sickness for another week because somehow my body needed to make me suffer the consequences of my choice and using the sea to get better only kicked my ass because later in the night my stomach would cramp up so bad that I'd wake up in a pool of my own blood. It wasn't pretty.

Gwen had called to check in on me and so did a few colleagues, mostly Penelope who had had to take on one of my classes.

Being back was almost kind of foreign. I had gotten so used to seeing Kaden for a week that I began to seek his face out, just to make sure he was around. The boy had already made sure to be where I was before but having seen him so adamant about taking care of me really did something.

"I'd appreciate it if you avoid being sick during the term." Penelope's words the moment she laid eyes on me. I laughed sorting out my desk.

"We're they that bad?"

"No, which says a lot because Kaden is in one of your classes." I looked over at her hoping she'd explain. "The boy is a problem most of the time and somehow, he was on his best behaviour. I think it was even the first time that he asked a question in my entire life here. It was about you, but still."

"Me?"

"Yes, weird, you. He wanted to know where you are the first day, then would ask if we checked up on you and made us check." She rolled her eyes walking towards one of the desks in my class. I flushed.

"I'm sorry about that."

"I'm more sorry." Her tone made me look up at her then.

"Why is that?"

"It's pretty obvious what's going on here."

"Which is?" I squinted confused and she rolled her eyes.

"Mr. Jackson, I'd like to remind you that you are a teacher at this school and any act other than that of a teacher with a student is against the law." My eyes widened then and I stood straighter raising my hands.

"No, I think y-"

"Don't play the innocent. I found it strange how the boy from day one seemed to listen to you. I figured, your a handsome guy and he probably agrees with that, but then he began sitting in with you during free period and even your free period, which, he missed classes for by the he way-"

"Wha-"

"And then going to the environmental club camp and then the week of you being sick." At this point she was infront of my desk having walked over slowly while naming everything she found to be off. She placed her hands on the table and sighed. "Mr. Black is a handsome young boy, but Gunner, you are the adult and even if you didn't pursue him, you will be found guilty if this gets out. Just making sure you know that."

Was she encouraging or was she telling me to stop or was she being a concerned friend? I was honestly confused.

"Penelope, it's not like that, I promise you." She looked at me.